1080ti cable trouble.

Apr 27, 2018
Just finished building a new pc but before i turn it on I need an answer about a problem I had. I got the evga 1080ti hybrid and when hooking up the power cables(one 6pin and one 8pin) the 6 pin went in fine but the 8 pin would not. Came to the conclusion that the pins inside the cable are not alligned properly. So...they were 2 separate cables(i think they were called adapters?) but couldnt get the 8 pin to fit. But what I did get to fit was a cable that came with my 850 psu that was a combo 6pin and a 6+2 pin. Is this ok to use i stead of the one that came with the gpu? Didnt want to turn on the pc until I had a definite answer that it was safe. Wasnt sure if the supplied cables were separate for a reason instead of the all in one cable.

Solution

Again, that is not what the cable is there for, it's an adapter, not a basic plug that you're supposed to be using (and adapters are never a good idea anyway). There's no standardized pinout on the side of the power supply, for you to use an included connector with the intention to plug into a power supply, they would have to literally include dozens of cables, with a long list of which cables are compatible with which.
Apr 27, 2018

EVGA 220-P2-0850-X1 P2 80 Plus Platinum, 850W ECO Mode Fully Modular Power Supply.

Apr 27, 2018
My 1080ti hybrid has a 6 pin and an 8 pin. Not having a psu issue im having an issue with the cables that came with my gpu are not fitting properly to the gpu. So im using a cable that came with my psu that does fit.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Crap, I completely misread your post (I read it as your PSU only having a 6-pin and a 6+2 pin). Sorry, it's late and that's an excellent PSU.

Have you tried one of the other cables that came with the PSU? There ought to be multiple PCIE cables.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Ignore cables that came with the GPU. They're not to install into a modular power supply. Pinouts aren't universal on the PSU side.

Apr 27, 2018
Just having a hard time believeing the cable that came in the same box as the gpu its suppose to go with is the wrong cable lol. The one that came with it is a 6 and an 8 pin. 8 pin doesnt fit properly so I used the 6 pin and 6+2 pin that came with the psu and those do fit the gpu slots.

You're not trying to put it in upside down are you?

Apr 27, 2018
No. It does go in about halfway. But it will not go further no matter how i wiggle it or how hard i push. I believe the pins inside the cable are not fit properly. The 6 pin goes in fine but the 8 will not.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Hmm, the way i read that is you first used Pcie cables supplied with the video card?

Don't do that. As said, using another pcie cable from another product, cable or even another PSU can lead to massive explosions. Not the nuclear type of explosion (i hope ;P) but enough to wipe out those tiny chips on your graphics card. Pinout's on modular power supply's aren't universal and do differ, it's a common mistake but the mistake only needs to happen once so keep to cables supplied by your psu and toss the ones that came with the graphics card.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Again, that is not what the cable is there for, it's an adapter, not a basic plug that you're supposed to be using (and adapters are never a good idea anyway). There's no standardized pinout on the side of the power supply, for you to use an included connector with the intention to plug into a power supply, they would have to literally include dozens of cables, with a long list of which cables are compatible with which.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS