Question 1080Ti crash after few minutes, hopeless dad trying to have some fun in quarantaine.

128MB

Commendable
Jan 6, 2021
Problem:
Catched the covid so home arrest and wanted to play some but can't, all games just freeze (sound goes EEEEEEEEEEEEE) and i have to hard reboot the pc.
Sometimes 1 minutes sometimes half an hour ...

Me (33yr old father of 2):
Building my own gaming pcs for 20 years now and im speechless, never had this persistent problem.

The PC (all used parts):
-9900K (stock speed) cooled with ML240L AIO
-Z390 Aorus Elite
-iChill 1080Ti X3 never seen above 85c (latest driver from nvidia installed clean) oldest part of the pc actually since a new gpu is unobtainable
-Trident Z 16GB DDr4-3600
-Corsair RM1000
-Win 10 fully up to date on Evo Plus 250GB and games/steam on 870EVO 1TB.

All clean as new, yearly apply new paste and clean the air filters.
Im very carefull with my pc and have never had computer or part or anything fail on me rather than a cheap old psu because it got wet.

i'v also tried the GPU underclocking with MSI afterburner and INNOtune to no avail.
Been browsing for days around google for a solution.

Is my GPU dying ? I noticed the damn thing is always on 100% even playing 10 year old games while the rest is just idling around.

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would suggest going into Task Manager and looking over at the GPU engine tab to investigate what is causing the high usage.

You mention CPU temp, but are you monitoring temps for the GPU?

It could simply be worn out or damaged. It could be that you have something persistent running in the background or unknown to you that is simply putting too much load on and causing the crash.

Take a look around in and search the returns for Event Viewer. Sometimes Reliability History can be helpful as well.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Problem:
Catched the covid so home arrest and wanted to play some but can't, all games just freeze (sound goes EEEEEEEEEEEEE) and i have to hard reboot the pc.
Sometimes 1 minutes sometimes half an hour ...

Me (33yr old father of 2):
Building my own gaming pcs for 20 years now and im speechless, never had this persistent problem.

The PC (all used parts):
-9900K (stock speed) cooled with ML240L AIO, never ever above 85c)
-Z390 Aorus Elite
-iChill 1080Ti X3 (latest driver from nvidia installed clean) oldest part of the pc actually since a new gpu is unobtainable
-Trident Z 16GB DDr4-3600
-Corsair RM1000
-Win 10 fully up to date on Evo Plus 250GB and games/steam on 870EVO 1TB.

All clean as new, yearly apply new paste and clean the air filters.
Im very carefull with my pc and have never had computer or part or anything fail on me rather than a cheap old psu because it got wet.

i'v also tried the GPU underclocking with MSI afterburner and INNOtune to no avail.
Been browsing for days around google for a solution.

Is my GPU dying ? I noticed the damn thing is always on 100% even playing 10 year old games while the rest is just idling around.

I have had a very similar issue a while back on one of our family PCs have a look at those SSDs with samsung magician

128MB

Commendable
Jan 6, 2021
I meant the gpu temp not cpu sorry.
Never seen that above 85c. I have 3x120mm intake and 3x120mm outtake fans.
Never oc anything on this oc. Sometimes i just want to buy some cheap old gpu and try if that crashes :/

You're better off going to Event manager and pulling the logs. I would run HWmonitor for 5 min of game-play and see what temps are you getting. 85C on GPU is too hot. 85C might be on the GPU chip but your VRMS might be at 90+C. I would also do a clean windows install if the logs are not definitive.

128MB

Commendable
Jan 6, 2021
furmark and hw monitor and im scoring higher than 10.000, higher than similar systems iv found in the charts.
max gpu 70°c. when i run the test for long the gpu temp never goes above 85. the hotspots goes around 100c tho.

today i cant get 1 minute of playing. gpu didnt even went over 70c nor did it throttle down it sat fine on +1900mhz 60% load then it stopped.

Last edited:

Steffenbk1

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014
Have you checked with BSOD viwer to see if you have any fault codes?

Would just try anyway to do a clean driver install. Get ddu driver uninstaller, boot in safe mode, and uninstall it, then install the latest driver to just check.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
furmark and hw monitor and im scoring higher than 10.000, higher than similar systems iv found in the charts.
max gpu 70°c. when i run the test for long the gpu temp never goes above 85. the hotspots goes around 100c tho.

today i cant get 1 minute of playing. gpu didnt even went over 70c nor did it throttle down it sat fine on +1900mhz 60% load then it stopped.

I'd take the graphics card out of the slot clean the slot and reseat it. Also check/reseat both PCIE power connectors (two 6-pins? 6-pin + 8-pin?)

Also might not be a bad idea to check system for malware and PUPs and such.
I noticed the damn thing is always on 100%

128MB

Commendable
Jan 6, 2021
Iv sold the card and got a 3060ti now. New user didnt have any problems with the 1080. So still something wrong on my end but the 3060 performs way way over expectations while it shouldn’t be all that faster than a 1080ti.