Question 1080ti crashing

Jan 7, 2020
I just bought a 1080 ti and first when i plugged it wasnt even loading windows just crashing. Now i deleted the old drivers from my pld 980 and it loaded windows but crashed like 30 seconds later. I need help. My psu is 550 watts and i checked with pcpartpicker and everything that i have only need around 450 watts. So i should be on the clear. Plus the pc doesnt shut off. Windows just fails to load and my screen goes black on or black off.

Jan 7, 2020
I just bought a 1080 ti and first when i plugged it wasnt even loading windows just crashing. Now i deleted the old drivers from my pld 980 and it loaded windows but crashed like 30 seconds later. I need help. My psu is 550 watts and i checked with pcpartpicker and everything that i have only need around 450 watts. So i should be on the clear. Plus the pc doesnt shut off. Windows just fails to load and my screen goes black on or black off.

It always takes me to the blue screen where i can shoot to continue, use a device' troubleshoot or turn off pc
Are you sure you don't mean 3800X?
Regardless.....I've heard good and bad about NZXT and I've never had one so I can't really say if the PSU is any good....but the problems you are describing to me.....lead me to think it's the PSU more than anything else.

Jan 7, 2020
Are you sure you don't mean 3800X?
Regardless.....I've heard good and bad about NZXT and I've never had one so I can't really say if the PSU is any good....but the problems you are describing to me.....lead me to think it's the PSU more than anything else.
Would a 600w work? I can go buy a psu

Would a 600w work? I can go buy a psu
I think a 600 watt Seasonic or Corsair should work. Those are the two manufacturers I use and trust because they are known for quality PSUs....anything else I can't really speak for.

Here's the thing....your GPU and CPU (if it's a 3800X) can draw 355 watts total....and I'd add another 100 for the motherboard and everything else......so 455......that only leaves you with 95 watts overhead.....and that's if the supply truly is outputting 550 watts.....which we don't even know.

Jan 7, 2020
I think a 600 watt Seasonic or Corsair should work. Those are the two manufacturers I use and trust because they are known for quality PSUs....anything else I can't really speak for.

Here's the thing....your GPU and CPU (if it's a 3800X) can draw 355 watts total....and I'd add another 100 for the motherboard and everything else......so 455......that only leaves you with 95 watts overhead.....and that's if the supply truly is outputting 550 watts.....which we don't even know.
I called gigabyte and they told me that the minimum requirement for the 1080ti is 600 watts. So it was a shortage of power. Im omw to buy a new psu. Thanks. I was scared that the gpu was broken

I called gigabyte and they told me that the minimum requirement for the 1080ti is 600 watts. So it was a shortage of power. Im omw to buy a new psu. Thanks. I was scared that the gpu was broken
When I buy a PSU....I like to have overhead.....so if my system draws 450.....I'd get a 650.
Also with more overhead....I think they tend to run cooler.
For instance.....I think a 500 watt supply delivering 500 watts is going to run hotter than a 1000 watt supply delivering 500 watts.....and heat is one thing that causes electronic components to wear.

Jan 7, 2020
They're a company, just like any other: Trying to make money.
They'll have no qualms with trying to sell you their 3rd rate products, so long as they make a sale.
You should still be careful.
So i bought a 750 watts corsair and still doesnt boot windows.... it keeps giving me an error

Jan 7, 2020
What kind of error?
It just doesnt boot windows. It boots the bios screen and then when it gives me some weird black screens and then it boots the windows screen that gives you like 4 options (continue to windows 10, troubleshooting, and 2 more) if i hit continue to windows 10 it just restarts and it keeps restarting. Sometimes i get some weird green lines at the bios screen. The bios recognize the gpu but as "nvidia graphics card". Should i take out the cmos battery and put it back?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Should i take out the cmos battery and put it back?
Do you know how to properly do it? I'll quote one of the moderator's post on how:
Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

Also, make sure none of the memory modules were knocked loose while working in the case AND make sure that they are installed in the A2 and B2 slots, which are the second and fourth slots over from the CPU, if you have two DIMMs installed. If you have one, it should be in the A2 slot. If you have four, obviously it's irrelevant, unless of course you have disparate kits installed and then you want to keep one kit in the A2 and B2 slots and the other kit in the A1 and B1 slots.

Also, what's the rest of your PC's specs?

Where'd you buy this 1080Ti from?

Jan 7, 2020
Do you know how to properly do it? I'll quote one of the moderator's post on how:

Also, what's the rest of your PC's specs?

Where'd you buy this 1080Ti from?
I bought it from a friend. He was using it and it was working fine. He just upgraded to a 2080. That's why he sold it to me. And shouldnt i just drain the power on the pc and then take out the battery and put it back?