[SOLVED] 1080Ti finally gave in?

RonnieNine

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Hey all.

I have an MSI Gaming X 1080Ti.

The card was working flawlessly ever since I bought it. However, after reinstalling windows last week I've been facing some serious issues.

The card itself works fine - it's gaming. Randomly (after more than 5 minutes) games would randomly 'lose communication' with the card resulting with a crash to the desktop.

Worth noting that the card works fine in debug mode. So it means it cant even handle factory OC anymore? As I said, it worked fine for 2-3 years. And suddenly what?

Solution
I don't think it's normal for a 1080ti to give up in 3 years or less. Mine is close to 3 years and 0 issues.
If indeed you also had 0 issues and just reinstalled, it's 99% a software issue unless you did anything else stupid. Like unplug your PC while powered on or had serious crashes, electric surges.

Could also check if the GPU is properly seated and not moving at all or doesn't HANG putting pressure on the PCI-E slot. You can try using different power connectors to power your GPU.
Maybe even reinstall again but this time remove all files. I generally never leave files on C:\ I copy them to my other partitions and just make it as clean as possible, tho I didn't have to reinstall for over 7 years.
Do not install different versions...

RonnieNine

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Anyone? Any ideas?

UPDATE: Now it's crashing with debug mode as well.. sometimes it makes artifacts. It's not dead yet since anything else than gaming - it works fine. I even left it on furmark for 30 minutes and nothing there either. I don't know what's happening.

UPDATE2: It looks like it's not the frequency that's causing the issue. I have underclocked to 1700mhz and the crash still randomly happens. By the way: By the crash I mean just a crash to desktop from the game. It's not memory clock either.

Last edited:

Cioby

Distinguished
I don't think it's normal for a 1080ti to give up in 3 years or less. Mine is close to 3 years and 0 issues.
If indeed you also had 0 issues and just reinstalled, it's 99% a software issue unless you did anything else stupid. Like unplug your PC while powered on or had serious crashes, electric surges.

Could also check if the GPU is properly seated and not moving at all or doesn't HANG putting pressure on the PCI-E slot. You can try using different power connectors to power your GPU.
Maybe even reinstall again but this time remove all files. I generally never leave files on C:\ I copy them to my other partitions and just make it as clean as possible, tho I didn't have to reinstall for over 7 years.
Do not install different versions of drivers. Get the last RELEASE not beta. Also update your motherboard drivers using the latest directly from the provider and make sure it's the same model and number, version etc.

A GPU doesn't just "give up" after you do a reinstall.

Solution

RonnieNine

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

Do not install different versions of drivers. Get the last RELEASE not beta. Also update your motherboard drivers using the latest directly from the provider and make sure it's the same model and number, version etc.

A GPU doesn't just "give up" after you do a reinstall.

I almost always do a clean clean install. I did have power surges. I guess I'll just try a complete reinstall with different cables too.