Question 1080ti Idle Temp

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
Hello, I've had a 1080ti for a little over a year and I've always had "prefer maximum performance" enabled in Nvidia control panel forcing the card to run at about 1558mhz while it's "idle" and the temps stay at about 44-50c on a hot day. I've been using the "prefer maximum performance" setting since I remember having stuttering issues in games and I thought keeping that setting turned on may have helped a bit, but I just didn't want to keep turning it on while gaming and turning it off when i'm not so I just leave it on all the time. Do you guys think 44-50c are safe idle temps on a hot day (ambient temperature around 37c) or should I just start turning off that setting.

Last edited:

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I also have a 1080Ti and at idle i'm around 32- 35c on a 30c day (i'm from UK so doesn't get much hotter than that.). 44-50 idle is higher than I would like. How much ventilation do you have in the case? As long as it doesn't get any hotter than say 85 under load it should be fine.
Also play around with the the fan settings on something such as MSi Afterburner so the fans are spinning a bit faster at idle.

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
I also have a 1080Ti and at idle i'm around 32- 35c on a 30c day (i'm from UK so doesn't get much hotter than that.). 44-50 idle is higher than I would like. How much ventilation do you have in the case? As long as it doesn't get any hotter than say 85 under load it should be fine.
Also play around with the the fan settings on something such as MSi Afterburner so the fans are spinning a bit faster at idle.

I have an aggressive fan profile and I have 3 200mm and 1 120mm fan not including the 2 fans on the cpu radiator, but like i said the "prefer maximum performance" setting forces the gpu to stay at a high clock even while it's idle. If I turn that setting off and switch to "adaptive", the temp stays at about 34-39c on idle. Temps during load can reach 70c only if framerate is uncapped also depending the game. The question I have is regarding this particular setting and whether this temp can cut the lifespan of the gpu significantly since I kept it on for so long.

Last edited: