[SOLVED] 1080ti insanity no signal works in one house not in another

Feb 5, 2021
so its a
asrock z370 gaming k6
with a asus gtx 1080ti
with a intel i7 8700k coffee lake
powered by an evga psu 750watts

the pc is several years old heavily used cleaned regularly the pc is acting insane it started when i was gaming with my bf the screen went black my gpu fans went max throttle..i could still hear the game running and my bf over discord
i pulled the gpu out and took the pc to my bfs house.
gpu worked in his pc so we put it back in my pc ...and wham it worked at his house...we stress tested it ran it for two days at 4 k gaming hardcore literally for like 48 hours straight she ran fine perfectly my darling. temps were perfect she was repasted a few weeks ago ..then i took the pc home plugged it in . it cut on and i had visuals walked away for five minutes came back to a black screen and all fans on max. ..took gpu out reseated it incase the move jostled something. no visuals at all even bios and fan throttles after about 3 minutes of being on pc boots to windows with 0 visuals.

the electricity in my house is notoriously crapola but this pc ran plugged in where its plugged for the past two years. do you guys think its my psu? if so why would it run fine at my bfs house? any help suggestions?

Solution
"the whole pc ran on this apc on an extension cord for years "
  1. You're not supposed to run a UPS on an extension cord. BTW, what was the length of the cord and what gauge wire did it have?
  2. I'm not sure an APC UPS will last for "years". I know the battery won't. Have you changed the battery in it in that time?

The more you fiddle around with it, the more problems you are going to have. Get your electricity straightened out first. Low voltage is as bad for a computer as voltage surges.
I think it's the PSU, the outlet or a combination.

You may have low voltage at the outlet....and perhaps something recently failed in your PSU making it more susceptible to low voltage.

If you have a multimeter you can measure the voltage at both outlets. If yours is lower...this would line up with what I'm thinking.

Edit: Although I'm thinking ...in the end...it's probably going to be "new power supply".

Feb 5, 2021
I think it's the PSU, the outlet or a combination.

You may have low voltage at the outlet....and perhaps something recently failed in your PSU making it more susceptible to low voltage.

If you have a multimeter you can measure the voltage at both outlets. If yours is lower...this would line up with what I'm thinking.
its plugged into an apc atm its incoming voltage is 120v atm but tbh the voltage in this appt flux's a lot the apc is old as dirt and needs to be replaced but it should still be keeping the voltage consistent the outgoing voltage is at 122v its running between 120v and 123v on the out and 120v on the in atm but the in fluxes a lot. perhaps my apc is bad? its the apc back ups pro 1500

Feb 5, 2021
I had an APC unit melt on me once.

So you don't have the APC unit plugged in at the other house?

It could very well be that.

What if you just plug right into the wall at your house and bypass the APC (leave it out)?
interesting so when i tried this the entire pc literally ran slow and then crashed like this thing boots in a instaflash and it booted like a old school 95 machine i saw loading circles..

Feb 5, 2021
this machine no longer shows visuals at all even for bios it did for a while and now i get no signal from the machine from the gpu at boot plugged into the apc or the wall granted the nearest grounded wall socket is 8ft away so the entire system is running on a wire spanning the room the appt only has one grounded outlet and thats it the lights on the gpu light up and the fan spins .. and it boots to windows you can hear it .. no visuals was planning on replacing psu tonight..can i run this pc on an ungrounded outlet safely? i tested the monitor the monitors fine runs of my laptop fine. the whole pc ran on this apc on an extension cord for years... so at my bfs when it worked we didnt have the apc...and we used his main power cord could this be caused by a short in the power cord from the apc to the psu ?

Last edited:
  1. You're not supposed to run a UPS on an extension cord. BTW, what was the length of the cord and what gauge wire did it have?
  2. I'm not sure an APC UPS will last for "years". I know the battery won't. Have you changed the battery in it in that time?

The more you fiddle around with it, the more problems you are going to have. Get your electricity straightened out first. Low voltage is as bad for a computer as voltage surges.

Solution
Feb 5, 2021
can it run ungrounded ?