[SOLVED] 1080ti + Intel Core i7-870

Mar 28, 2021
Will my 1080ti be able to handle a 2k monitor on a Intel Core i7-870 processor? I’m not playing games obviously that would be crazy bottlenecking, I just wanna use it to watch already downloaded videos only. I have gb’s of anime I would like to watch on my bigger screen, my other desktop isn’t working so I would like to temporarily use this one to watch for a few months.

Solution
As long as you have a good PSU, you can play games with that setup for sure. The 1080ti is still a capable card, and it may be held back some by the CPU, but if you play at a higher resolution, that becomes less of an issue. If you are truly ONLY going to be watching videos, a much cheaper GPU will still work just as well. The GPU, as long as it is fully functional, will have almost no affect on Video watching. You could use a GTX 1050, and it would look the exact same as a 1080 ti, if all you do is watch videos. If you edit/render videos, then the GPU makes a huge difference, but just watching videos you could go with a much weaker option and be perfectly fine. Upgrading to having a GPU at all might not improve anything either, because...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Im running gtx 1070 on ASus P6T Delux (i7 920) just fine. Compatibility shouldn't be an issue around this era from main motherboard brands. Oems poses a different challenge usually with limited bios support.

You'll play games just fine too. Just up the details.

Mar 28, 2021
Im running gtx 1070 on ASus P6T Delux (i7 920) just fine. Compatibility shouldn't be an issue around this era from main motherboard brands. Oems poses a different challenge usually with limited bios support.

Okay just double checking the computer is an optiplex 980 about 9+ years old. You think it can hold a 2k monitor at full quality just for video watching?

As long as you have a good PSU, you can play games with that setup for sure. The 1080ti is still a capable card, and it may be held back some by the CPU, but if you play at a higher resolution, that becomes less of an issue. If you are truly ONLY going to be watching videos, a much cheaper GPU will still work just as well. The GPU, as long as it is fully functional, will have almost no affect on Video watching. You could use a GTX 1050, and it would look the exact same as a 1080 ti, if all you do is watch videos. If you edit/render videos, then the GPU makes a huge difference, but just watching videos you could go with a much weaker option and be perfectly fine. Upgrading to having a GPU at all might not improve anything either, because the iGPU in the CPU should handle that load fine. Try running your screen using only the iGPU, with no dedicated GPU, and see how it does. It might be perfectly fine. Unlike playing games, a stronger GPU will not make a video play at higher resolution, or details level. That will depend more often on the RAM, CPU, and your Internet connection, and if it is a downloaded video, your storage. In your case, if you do not have one, an SSD might be a cheaper and more beneficial upgrade than a 1080ti.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution

I had i7-920 first with my p6x58d-e motherboard and i upgraded to x5675, with minor tweaking its running 4.4ghz all core 6c 12 threads. Does your motherboard support xeons?

Havent really yet tested this system much yet since i have gtx 670 installed right now so thats obviously holding me down for now. But benchmark scores went up significantly from 3ghz to 4.4ghz and 8threads to 12 threads

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018
I had a 1080 Ti with my i7-930 for years. No issues gaming at 4K or 1440p. SO for what you're using it for, should be no issue if your PSU can handle it
The bottlenecking thing is a bit overblown

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I had i7-920 first with my p6x58d-e motherboard and i upgraded to x5675, with minor tweaking its running 4.4ghz all core 6c 12 threads. Does your motherboard support xeons?

Havent really yet tested this system much yet since i have gtx 670 installed right now so thats obviously holding me down for now. But benchmark scores went up significantly from 3ghz to 4.4ghz and 8threads to 12 threads

Haven't look into it tbh, probably does support but im happy for it to be chugging along as a secondary drive. That's at 4ghz. My main pc is 2600k at 4.5, soon wanting to overhaul and that'll replace 920 system.

Had 1070 originally in 2600k system then upgraded to 1080ti. Replaced Gtx780 that was in 920 and gifted Gtx780 to a friend.

TRENDING THREADS