Question 1080ti is close to dying what to do next?

tomeryuval11

Reputable
Nov 7, 2018
Hey guys I hope you can help me out here cuz I’m frustrated :/
I have 1080ti for over 5 years and I think his time has come 🥲
It crashes very frequently and the only game I can play without crashing is maple story.
My question is what should I do?
Buy a new 3080?
Or wait for the new cards?
The problem is that I have no idea when the new cards are releasing and therefore I don’t know what to do :/

Also my cpu is 3600x so I don’t know if the new cards won’t bottleneck it too much

tomeryuval11

Reputable
Nov 7, 2018
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22000) (22000.co_release.210604-1628)
BIOS: 2202 (type: UEFI)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor (12 CPUs), ~3.8GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16320MB RAM
PSU : MPY-7501-AFAAG CoolerMaster Gold Modular
GPU : pny gtx 1080ti blower

What kind of 'crash' are you getting..crash to desktop? Blue screen? Power off?
Although it could be a number of issues, iy could well be your PSU showing signs of age and death. Quick Google search on that model showed complaints of failure.
Do you have access to another GOOD quality PSU that you could try?

Sometimes my pc just shuts down completely , and sometimes I get green particles and pc crashes so I need to restart it
GPU artifacts. This means problems with GPU.
Check GPU temperatures.
Downclock GPU, reduce power target, reduce vram frequency. Use MSI afterburner.

If temperatures are high, then improve cooling.
If temperatures are fine and there are still artifacts, then gpu is toast. Replace it.

tomeryuval11

Reputable
Nov 7, 2018
Temps are normal most of the times , only at really heavy games it gets to 83 max I think.
I also tested a thing called Heaven Benchmark 4.0 and got similiar resluts that I got a year before.
Tried resetting bios and never touched anything about the power target or vram frequency.
@SkyNetRising
@rgd1101

tomeryuval11

Reputable
Nov 7, 2018
Have you tried removing and re-inserting the GPU. Artifacts like that can definitely come from a card that isn't sitting properly in the slot. After many heat cycles and general sag they can slowly work themselves into an intermittent position.

Yes I ran a full cleaning to my case and parts and also formatting my pc , which didn't change a thing.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Hey guys I hope you can help me out here cuz I’m frustrated :/
I have 1080ti for over 5 years and I think his time has come 🥲
It crashes very frequently and the only game I can play without crashing is maple story.
My question is what should I do?
Buy a new 3080?
Or wait for the new cards?
The problem is that I have no idea when the new cards are releasing and therefore I don’t know what to do :/

Also my cpu is 3600x so I don’t know if the new cards won’t bottleneck it too much
That is not a bottleneck. Bottleneck... https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/what-is-bottlenecking-my-pc.html
In the past have you overclock it? Has the cooling been up to snuff. Do you have temps to display. My 1080ti has been perfect since 2017.

Last edited: