Question 1080ti not downclocking at idle, BUT after a GPU crash it downclocks properly?

Jun 25, 2019
My 1080ti never downclocks when idle, it always runs at about 1500~1600mhz, even when idle on the desktop.

HOWEVER

Over the past couple of days, Overwatch has been crashing the GPU at the hero select screen - the temperature spikes to 90 and I get a 'rendering device lost' message. This results in the card downclocking at idle! It'll go down to about 150~300mhz at desktop, will correctly ramp up when watching videos or opening a game, and go back down when idle.

...until I restart. Then it's back to normal.

WTF is going on? Could the 'restarting' or 'reinitiating' of the GPU (due to the crash) be causing it to 'come to its senses' and properly downclock while idle?

Here are the top causes of why a GPU would run at full clocks at idle...

#1 You're running multiple monitors. Fix: Enable mutil display power saver using nvidia inspector.
#2 Your machine has a virus. Fix: Scan computer using malwarebytes.
#3 One or more programs running in the background are using your GPU. Fix: Perform a clean boot of windows.
#4 Power management mode inside the nvidia control panel is set to prefer maximum performance. Fix: Set power management mode to adaptive then reboot your computer.
#5 Running a resolution of 2560x1440 @ 144Hz. Fix: Change refresh rate to 120Hz.
#6 K-Boost is enabled inside Precision X. Fix: Disable K-Boost.
#7 Shadowplay is enabled inside geforce experience. Fix: Disable shadowplay inside geforce experience OR completely uninstall geforce experience from your machine (highly recommended)

Jun 25, 2019
  1. Not running multiple monitors
  2. No virus
  3. Pretty certain no programs are using my GPU - as mentioned above, it downclocks properly after crashing in Overwatch (bizarre)
  4. I have tried changing Nvidia power management settings - still doesn't downclock
  5. This is my resolution and refresh rate, but even changing the refresh rate to 120hz, or 100hz, still doesn't fix it
  6. I'm not running 'Precision X'
  7. Not running Shadowplay

So basically it's none of those common reasons.
However after crashing in Overwatch (possibly causing the GPU to 'reboot' itself??) it downclocks properly, smartly, and efficiently. Until the next system reboot.