[SOLVED] 1080ti overclocking help

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
im trying to overclock my evga kingpin 1080ti. iv watched a few tutorials online but im stuck. for every video i watch they incresse it beyond 100+ with no p[roblem .when I try to set it to 100+ and run Uniengine vally it crashes my computer...from my understanding you have to increase the voltage..but i don't no by how much..I tried up to +20 but still i get crash. I don't no how much i should increese it to before its a safe indication that my card cant handle the clock speed.

Solution
I took a look at it...

Performance cap reasons were very consistent: it was either idling, or limited by voltage - I asked you to leave it at 0, so that result is as expected.

I'm not seeing anything wrong with the gpu - it's behaving like mine is... and being that you have the Kingpin model, I figured it should have a higher power limit, at least, but it also appears to be capping around 300w.
Open Gpu-Z and click on the Advanced tab, click on the drop-down arrow and select Nvidia Bios.
What are the gpu's default and maximum power limits?

It's also running a fair bit warmer compared to mine as well; it got up to 71C at times. As already mentioned, that is going to affect boost clocks.
That difference is probably caused by our cases...

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Voltage on pascal and turing doesn't really help at all. It just allows the card to use more voltage at lower clocks. So you're best off leaving it at 0. Have you set your power and temp limits to max?

yeap its at 130 and temp limit is 90. so far i managed to run uniengin with a 60+ on the core clock for 30 mins. running it at 80+ results in short disconnects and freezes on the display when running the benchmark after a few seconds.

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Graphics card vendors bin their chips and use the best ones in factory overclocked models that can be sold for more.
The Kingpin versions are the top of the top.

I dont know about that. but does incressing the memory clock help to stabilize the core clock speed? and is running the benchmark in a higher resolution important to knowing if its stable or not? example i ran the benchmark at ultra settings but only at 1080p.

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
That's really high. The base clock of the 1080 Ti is about 1500Mhz, and boost usually is 1700Mhz for most cards.
maybe for a reference card. but this is not a reference card and so far trying to play Dishonored 2 with power limit at max and just +50 on the clock..my computer crashes after 10 mins...previously i tried 60+ on the uni engine vally benchmark and it ran fine for 30 mins..So i dunno

maybe for a reference card. but this is not a reference card and so far trying to play Dishonored 2 with power limit at max and just +50 on the clock..my computer crashes after 10 mins...previously i tried 60+ on the uni engine vally benchmark and it ran fine for 30 mins..So i dunno
1700Mhz is the boost clock for most custom AIB cards, not just reference.
I don't think you understand. This card was factory overclocked. This means it came out of the factory with a high base/boost clock, leaving less headroom for manual overclocking on air cooling. Your card is already overclocked higher than others. It's like being put at the top of a mountain and wanting to climb up further.

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
1700Mhz is the boost clock for most custom AIB cards, not just reference.
I don't think you understand. This card was factory overclocked. This means it came out of the factory with a high base/boost clock, leaving less headroom for manual overclocking on air cooling. Your card is already overclocked higher than others. It's like being put at the top of a mountain and wanting to climb up further.

No. I do understand. I don't think you understand though because I'm seeing other people that have lower end cards then this one reporting higher clocks then me.1999mhz on boost. my clock is lower then that and it gets lower in game. clocks hover around 1500mhz and the temp is only 60c when it does this. this dont seem right.

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Hmm. According to this KPE overclocking guide the 1080 Ti KPE is good for up to 2025Mhz https://xdevs.com/guide/1080ti_kpe/ Really not sure here. Maybe try a higher fan curve, or a higher voltage, but I doubt those would help.
im not even able to reach 2025....i tried again and it goes to around 1984..not sure what happend previously.maybe a glitch in the interface? but it drops to 1924 and stays around that ..temps are in the 70s..and this just setting the powerlimit to 130% no core clock. but with +500 on memory

im not even able to reach 2025....i tried again and it goes to around 1984..not sure what happend previously.maybe a glitch in the interface? but it drops to 1924 and stays around that ..temps are in the 70s..and this just setting the powerlimit to 130% no core clock. but with +500 on memory
Not sure what to try next... Does the card have a bios switch, and have you switched it to whatever is the higher performance mode?

You are basically fighting over 100Mhz at this point, but they did say that it should be able to do 2025Mhz. I guess you could contact EVGA and see if you could RMA? But that would probably be pushing it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
not worth it. i plan on upgrading to a new card soon anyways..but i wanted to get the most out of this one..im just disapointed that i cant even get 2000mhz on this thing.
You're likely temp limited.
Gigabyte 1080Ti G1 Gaming owner here. This card has a max power limit of 300w. With settings of +75 core and +500 memory, it boosts to 2012 core and 6003 memory...
But the core clock can't be sustained; it frequently drops to the 1970s when it gets around 60C.

Pascal/Turing have just one power limit, but multiple temperature thresholds. The sad thing is, you and I have already passed like 2-3 of those thresholds at 60C!
If I were to liquid cool the gpu, it should be able to sustain the 2000mhz clock, if the power limit allows.

I'm curious as to what card you are upgrading to. There's only one that's worthwhile, but it actually isn't.
1200USD gets me an 6-11% uplift. Wednesday. Thursday. Friday...

I noticed no one asked you for your PC's full specs...

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
You're likely temp limited.
Gigabyte 1080Ti G1 Gaming owner here. This card has a max power limit of 300w. With settings of +75 core and +500 memory, it boosts to 2012 core and 6003 memory...
But the core clock can't be sustained; it frequently drops to the 1970s when it gets around 60C.

Pascal/Turing have just one power limit, but multiple temperature thresholds. The sad thing is, you and I have already passed like 2-3 of those thresholds at 60C!
If I were to liquid cool the gpu, it should be able to sustain the 2000mhz clock, if the power limit allows.

I'm curious as to what card you are upgrading to. There's only one that's worthwhile, but it actually isn't.
1200USD gets me an 6-11% uplift. Wednesday. Thursday. Friday...

I noticed no one asked you for your PC's full specs...

i see.. I dont really understand it. i tried using precision x1 and a different bench mark and a game..and were i originly managed to run uni vally for 30 mins at +50 on the core with +400 on the memory i was unable to play dishonored without a crash and same with superposition. im just more confused then i was now that i tried using precision x1 beacuse acording to the scan i should be able to hit 85 on the core...as for upgrading I'm waiting for the new RTX cards coming out later this year. which is not a long time.

my specs

CPU: i7 7700k 4.5hz
GPU: EVGA1080ti kingpin
MB: Asus Maximus IX formula
PSU: EVGA GL2 850
RAM: 2x8 trident rgb 3200mhz
SSD:Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - 1TB
HD: WDCB 1TB - 4TB
Display: Sony Bravia XE93
Keyboard: Corsair RGB straif
Mouse: Logitech G502 lightspeed
Audio interface: Focusrite scarlet 2i2