1080ti pci connector issue

Sep 12, 2018
So my power supply has 1 8 pin connector and 1 6 pin connector I bought a asus rogue strix 1080ti which requires 2 8 pins but the card came with an adapter to make a 6 pin into an 8 .. for one will this Work and for 2 will I get maximum preformance from my card this way or should I buy a new power supply ?

It sounds like they are referring to an extra drive that they have, different from the one that was in their system. So long as the drive has at least a couple 6+2 pin connectors it should likely be fine.

Are you sure it's not an adapter to make TWO 6-pins into an 8-pin?

Making a single 6-pin into an 8-pin seems like a terrible idea, in a fire-hazard kind of way. 8-pin is meant to supply up to 150W of power, whereas 6-pin is meant to supply only a maximum of 75W.

Potentially drawing up to 150W over wires designed to carry 75W is a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm in full, 100% agreement with jankerson.

Sep 12, 2018
Yah I have a Antec 750 watt bronze plus power supply here it’s about 3 years old it is sli rdy and has 4 6+2 pin I was told to take one off each line and make it 2 8 pins and I should be good was told not to use both 6+2 off the same wire

You actually need to buy a new PSU.

Otherwise you risk damaging the GPU and or you whole system.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS