1080ti pci connector issue

Sep 12, 2018
So my power supply has 1 8 pin connector and 1 6 pin connector I bought a asus rogue strix 1080ti which requires 2 8 pins but the card came with an adapter to make a 6 pin into an 8 .. for one will this Work and for 2 will I get maximum preformance from my card this way or should I buy a new power supply ?

Solution

It sounds like they are referring to an extra drive that they have, different from the one that was in their system. So long as the drive has at least a couple 6+2 pin connectors it should likely be fine.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Are you sure it's not an adapter to make TWO 6-pins into an 8-pin?

Making a single 6-pin into an 8-pin seems like a terrible idea, in a fire-hazard kind of way. 8-pin is meant to supply up to 150W of power, whereas 6-pin is meant to supply only a maximum of 75W.

Potentially drawing up to 150W over wires designed to carry 75W is a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm in full, 100% agreement with jankerson.

Sep 12, 2018
Yah I have a Antec 750 watt bronze plus power supply here it’s about 3 years old it is sli rdy and has 4 6+2 pin I was told to take one off each line and make it 2 8 pins and I should be good was told not to use both 6+2 off the same wire

You actually need to buy a new PSU.

Otherwise you risk damaging the GPU and or you whole system.

It sounds like they are referring to an extra drive that they have, different from the one that was in their system. So long as the drive has at least a couple 6+2 pin connectors it should likely be fine.

Solution