Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2020
Hey guys, I'm having issue with GPU temps on my rig with the following configuration:

Masterbox Lite 5 ATX Mid Tower Case
MSI Z390 Pro Carbon AC
i7 - 8700k (Cooled by Masterliquid Lite 120)
Asus 1080Ti Rog Poseidon (air cooled only right now)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 C16 3200 MHz
Corsair RM 750X 750W

So the problem is: My GPU hits 90 C the second it gets under a load, TDP limit kicks in, card performs at 50% of its potential at temps between 85-90 C. I'm using the case open for now (which creates a dust problem, but it's still better). I live in a very hot city (35-40 degrees from time to time) and this is no doubt affecting the performance, but still, I think it shouldn't be this bad.

I'm working on a liquid cooling solution. Also, I learned that Masterbox Lite 5 is an absolute hotbox, a little too late. I'm thinking about buying TD500 once I have the funds, along with the liquid cooling solution. But I wanted to ask if there is anything I can do without voiding the warranty until that is done.

Thanks in advance!

Link for how it looks (sorry for the dust and crappy image.)

Last edited:
Solution
Okay. Hmm...

So it's already been cleaned out before; it's just a dusty environment. I can excuse that then.

I mention the chassis ambient and not outside or in the room, because the baseline thermals for both the cpu and gpu are going to be based on that; idle temps will never be lower than whatever that number will be.

It's been cleaned, the fans work, it's been repasted before too.
1 other idea I have is loose or stripped screws, meaning that the heatsink isn't making proper contact with the gpu core. Or it could simply be that the cooler wasn't reattached correctly.
I know it's not the Vram, as GDDR5X memory doesn't run particularly hot, as it can be cooled by fans only, even without heatsinks and pads. The VRMs shouldn't run hot...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Well, whether or not you've had the card for a few years or so, that's typically around the time thermal paste dries up, and when that happens, the heatsink and fans can't do their job properly.
Clean off the old paste and reapply new.

2)I'm sorry, but to see dust build-up look like that in the chassis... that's just lazy. Clean the entire PC 2-3 times a year; your hardware will thank you for it.

3)Fan failure.
If fan failure is present, and you want to replace the fan, you'll have to take the card apart, as the part number is on the back of the fan.

4)35-40C?
So, you're telling me that you work and play on your PC in a room that some people would pass out from heatstroke in?
What's the actual temperature of the air entering the gpu cooler? The cpu cooler?
You'll need a small thermometer or temperature probe sitting in front of them to find that out.

5)Masterbox Lite 5.
Well, you've had it this long without any temperature issues before, unless you weren't monitoring that until recently?

6)Warranty.
Negative. Taking the card apart = bye-bye warranty. But the warranty on such a card is just 3 years, if I recall correctly, so only you would know if it's already expired or not.
Best way to check: contact Asus support.

Sep 14, 2020
1)Well, whether or not you've had the card for a few years or so, that's typically around the time thermal paste dries up, and when that happens, the heatsink and fans can't do their job properly.
Clean off the old paste and reapply new.

2)I'm sorry, but to see dust build-up look like that in the chassis... that's just lazy. Clean the entire PC 2-3 times a year; your hardware will thank you for it.

3)Fan failure.
If fan failure is present, and you want to replace the fan, you'll have to take the card apart, as the part number is on the back of the fan.

4)35-40C?
So, you're telling me that you work and play on your PC in a room that some people would pass out from heatstroke in?
What's the actual temperature of the air entering the gpu cooler? The cpu cooler?
You'll need a small thermometer or temperature probe sitting in front of them to find that out.

5)Masterbox Lite 5.
Well, you've had it this long without any temperature issues before, unless you weren't monitoring that until recently?

6)Warranty.
Negative. Taking the card apart = bye-bye warranty. But the warranty on such a card is just 3 years, if I recall correctly, so only you would know if it's already expired or not.
Best way to check: contact Asus support.

Thanks for the detailed reply, I really appreciate it. To answer your points:

1) I've actually had it since March 2018 so my warranty continues until March 2021 but I think I can sacrifice the next 6 months since it's not useful to me in the current situation anyway. The only point of having the warranty would be if I could give them the card for a repaste but I can't, so I actually might repaste it anyway.

2) I understand it's hard to believe, but this whole case was cleaned up less than a month ago, and I repasted the CPU, cleaned all the fans and all the case. The situation did not change, so I didn't bother clean up before posting here.

3) I checked but the fans are working perfectly, no coil whine either.

4) I didn't bother but it's my sister's rendering pc and she lives in İzmir/Turkey (where I came to visit) and it is 32 degrees outside right now, since it's September now. The interior is of course around 26 degrees with the AC on, but the temperature of the air entering the pc can go up to 35 degrees from time to time, that is the truth.

5) I haven't visited my sister for more than 9 months (last month I came and realized this problem, now I came to visit her again) so it may have been going on for sometime now but this definitely wasn't happening last year.

I just took the time and cleaned up the pc again, it didn't change. I think I'll disassemble, repaste and say bye bye to the warranty that doesn't help me anyway. Because the temp spike to 90 C happens instantly when I run a benchmark software, not even 3 seconds. So I don't think changing the case is gonna help in any way.

Thanks again for the response, I think it helped me make up my mind about opening the card :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Okay. Hmm...

So it's already been cleaned out before; it's just a dusty environment. I can excuse that then.

I mention the chassis ambient and not outside or in the room, because the baseline thermals for both the cpu and gpu are going to be based on that; idle temps will never be lower than whatever that number will be.

1 other idea I have is loose or stripped screws, meaning that the heatsink isn't making proper contact with the gpu core. Or it could simply be that the cooler wasn't reattached correctly.
I know it's not the Vram, as GDDR5X memory doesn't run particularly hot, as it can be cooled by fans only, even without heatsinks and pads. The VRMs shouldn't run hot either, so it's just the core running crazy hot.

Solution
Sep 14, 2020
Okay. Hmm...

I know it's not the Vram, as GDDR5X memory doesn't run particularly hot, as it can be cooled by fans only, even without heatsinks and pads. The VRMs shouldn't run hot either, so it's just the core running crazy hot.

Update: So, I finally had the balls to bid farewell to my warranty and repasted the card and the issue is solved. Now I'm having temps at 70s and maximum 80 on sustained loads. Thank you very much for your comments.

For future reference, in case anyone has a similar issue, what made me realize that the paste was gone was: the temps rose to 90C IMMEDIATELY after the load was applied. If it was slowly rising to that point, it could have been the fans or the case.

Here's a benchmark for the current result: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33080421

Best of luck!

Reactions: Phaaze88
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS