[SOLVED] 1080ti temps

nazarpredatorak

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
Hello guys, ive got a Msi gaming trio 1080ti, and while playing games the temps usually go up to 80-84 degrees with 100% fan speed. So i wanted to do some overclock to the gpu but because of these temps im not sure if its secure to do so.
I have the gpu mounted vertically, what for sure raises the temps by like 2-4 degrees.
So what do you guys think, is it secure to overclock my gpu given the circumstances?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Its a thermaltake view 31 tg
hcx2j5P.jpg

Exactly what I'm talking about.
That is too close to the side panel for vertically mounting air cooled cards - it's perfectly fine for full gpu water blocks like the one above.

If you don't want to do away with the vertically mounted card, then you have to run with the side panel off.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
80-84c with 100% fan speed? While thats not dangerous for the card a gaming x trio cooler should do a whole lot better than that at 50% fan speed never mind 100%. I would assume you have extremely poor case airflow or there is something wrong with the cooler on that card. Have you taken it apart?

Every review I could find has that card running at 70c or lower under full load with the stock fan profile.

No I wouldn't overclock until you find out why the cooler is performing so poorly.

Last edited:

nazarpredatorak

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
80-84c with 100% fan speed? While thats not dangerous for the card a gaming x trio cooler should do a whole lot better than that at 50% fan speed never mind 100%. I would assume you have extremely poor case airflow or there is something wrong with the cooler on that card. Have you taken it apart?

Every review I could find has that card running at 70c or lower under full load with the stock fan profile.

No I wouldn't overclock until you find out why the cooler is performing so poorly.
Ok thanks, i havent taken it appart yet, and the airflow in the case is decent, i have a 280 radiator as intake and two fans that take the air out.
So what would you suggest doing, reaplying the thermal paste or something like that?

nazarpredatorak

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
hcx2j5P.jpg

Exactly what I'm talking about.
That is too close to the side panel for vertically mounting air cooled cards - it's perfectly fine for full gpu water blocks like the one above.

If you don't want to do away with the vertically mounted card, then you have to run with the side panel off.
Is it okay to take out the side panel? Un terms of dust going in and so on

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's entirely up to you. You're already aware that this will make it easier for dust to enter your system, and if you keep pets of the furry variety, :eek:
You will need to clean and dust the PC more frequently. On the upside, the card will run cooler!

If that is too much trouble, then you have to install the gpu without the vertical mount.
The Gpu Boost algorithm is temperature sensitive. The card will not run at it's max possible boost clocks sustaining temperatures in the 80s.
-Temperature threshold 1 = ~59C, lose 50-100mhz
-Threshold 2 = ~72C, lose another 50-100mhz
-Threshold 3 = 84C, lose another 50-100mhz
-Thermal Throttling = 90C, lose like 1000mhz

nazarpredatorak

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
That's entirely up to you. You're already aware that this will make it easier for dust to enter your system, and if you keep pets of the furry variety, :eek:
You will need to clean and dust the PC more frequently. On the upside, the card will run cooler!

If that is too much trouble, then you have to install the gpu without the vertical mount.
The Gpu Boost algorithm is temperature sensitive. The card will not run at it's max possible boost clocks sustaining temperatures in the 80s.
-Temperature threshold 1 = ~59C, lose 50-100mhz
-Threshold 2 = ~72C, lose another 50-100mhz
-Threshold 3 = 84C, lose another 50-100mhz
-Thermal Throttling = 90C, lose like 1000mhz
Thanks so much for the help man. One last thing, so on order to conclude that the temp problem IS actually caused because of the vertical mount, lets say i run the heaven benchmark at 2k, and everything on high-ultra; what would be an acceptable temperature mark yo hit with my card. As for example, imagine i run the bench and get 77 degrees without the side panel; what would It mean? Thanks again for taking your time.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N108TGAMING-OC-11GD#kf
My current card. +164 core/+370 memory, Connected to a 2560 x 1440p monitor(primary) and a 1920 x 1080p monitor(secondary)
Heaven Benchmark, all highest settings. In this case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe 2
Card doesn't even go over 65C. Bounces under and over 60C instead.

If it ends up cooler, that'll just prove my point that it was starved for air being so close to the glass side panel.

nazarpredatorak

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N108TGAMING-OC-11GD#kf
My current card. +164 core/+370 memory, Connected to a 2560 x 1440p monitor(primary) and a 1920 x 1080p monitor(secondary)
Heaven Benchmark, all highest settings. In this case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe 2
Card doesn't even go over 65C. Bounces under and over 60C instead.

If it ends up cooler, that'll just prove my point that it was starved for air being so close to the glass side panel.
Ok so i did the test.
First i run two consecutive benchs with the side panel in its place. At the end of the second bench, the temperature of the card was at 78 degrees, and i think if i had stayed more in the program it wouldve gone up even more. I did the test with the following fan curve:
View: https://imgur.com/gFvL2tC

Next i took off the side panel. After running the test the card never got over 57 degrees. I didnt run the second test because i saw it was not getting hotter.
So you were right man, the problem was that the card didnt get enough air. Thanks for the help.
Lastly, id like to ask you if you think its safe the OC my card (every time i do some demanding stuff like gaming, ill take the side panel off)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't see why not. Your card should be capable of a little more than mine due to higher power limits:
Gaming X Trio: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/195628/msi-gtx1080ti-11264-170915
Gaming OC: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/192079/gigabyte-gtx1080ti-11264-170328

But you can always let the card do the boosting on it's own. Just max out the power limit and temperature limit sliders, set a more aggressive fan curve, and the card will take care of the rest.
It's optional, but not necessary to manually OC Pascal and Turing cards due to GPU Boost. It's very similar to how Intel and AMD cpus boost their frequencies.
As long as power and temps are acceptable, it'll run as fast as it can...

... But that's not fun at all, is it?;)
Watch and see how high the card boosts on it's own, raise it 10 or 20 mhz, run a few tests, and see if the card is ok with it.

There's also Msi's OC Scanner, but it only does core clock OCs, so you have to do the memory yourself.

nazarpredatorak

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
I don't see why not. Your card should be capable of a little more than mine due to higher power limits:
Gaming X Trio: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/195628/msi-gtx1080ti-11264-170915
Gaming OC: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/192079/gigabyte-gtx1080ti-11264-170328

But you can always let the card do the boosting on it's own. Just max out the power limit and temperature limit sliders, set a more aggressive fan curve, and the card will take care of the rest.
It's optional, but not necessary to manually OC Pascal and Turing cards due to GPU Boost. It's very similar to how Intel and AMD cpus boost their frequencies.
As long as power and temps are acceptable, it'll run as fast as it can...

... But that's not fun at all, is it?;)
Watch and see how high the card boosts on it's own, raise it 10 or 20 mhz, run a few tests, and see if the card is ok with it.

There's also Msi's OC Scanner, but it only does core clock OCs, so you have to do the memory yourself.
Ok thanks you so much for everything, when i have time ill follow your suggestions

Help4567

BANNED
Sep 9, 2019
dont recommend overclocking but if you want to do it just try it.
i dont know about your specific card but, my gtx 1080 ti support a max of 90*
keep in mind heat will reduce the lifetime of your gpu.. but if you dont go over 90 you should not have any problem.

nazarpredatorak

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
dont recommend overclocking but if you want to do it just try it.
i dont know about your specific card but, my gtx 1080 ti support a max of 90*
keep in mind heat will reduce the lifetime of your gpu.. but if you dont go over 90 you should not have any problem.
Without the side panel the card runs much cooler. Ill try not to go above 85 degrees.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I gotta admit, taking the side panel off whenever you game, run tests, and after you power off is a bit tedious.
Consider getting a case with better support(more room between gpu and side panel, or manufacturer offers a special bracket) for V-gpu in the future.

nazarpredatorak

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
I gotta admit, taking the side panel off whenever you game, run tests, and after you power off is a bit tedious.
Consider getting a case with better support(more room between gpu and side panel, or manufacturer offers a special bracket) for V-gpu in the future.
In the future ill take that into account when buying a case, but as for now, taking the side panel is just taking out two screws with my hands, not a big deal.

Reactions: Phaaze88