Question 10850K Turbo Boost

Hi,

Anyone have any experience customising turbo boost. I currently have it configured based on the numbers of cores loaded. From 1 to 3 cores it will boost to 5Ghz, for 4 to 10 it will boost to 4.5Ghz. I have a power limit of 4096W for both PL1 and PL2. My issue is that it only occasionally boosts to 5Ghz, according to HWMonitor it's hit 5Ghz on every core at some point, it just doesn't do it very often. Can someone explain this behaviour to me, and is there anything I can do about other than setting the all core boost to 5Ghz?

Thanks

HWMonitor does not track the MHz accurately when a CPU is only partially loaded. Try running ThrottleStop. It uses high performance timers within the CPU and the monitoring method recommended by Intel.

You should boost the 4 to 10 core active multiplier up to at least default speed which is 48.

HWMonitor does not track the MHz accurately when a CPU is only partially loaded. Try running ThrottleStop. It uses high performance timers within the CPU and the monitoring method recommended by Intel.

You should boost the 4 to 10 core active multiplier up to at least default speed which is 48.
The reason I don't do that is because it's hot and noisy at 48, if I'm doing something that loads all 20 threads at 100% it sounds like an aircraft taking off. It's significantly cooler and quieter at 45. I have some strategy games that rely heavily on a single core that's why I was looking at boosting higher under light loads. I find the multithreaded performance more than sufficient.

I have recently undervolted it by .095v (negative offset) which helps but I still prefer it to be quieter.

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll look into it.

@Nighthawk117
Instead of adjusting the turbo ratios, you can also adjust the PL1 and PL2 power limits to however much heat your cooling system can manage comfortably and quietly. ThrottleStop gives you access to these limits so you can make adjustments at any time without having to reboot. Very flexible.

TRENDING THREADS