[SOLVED] 10900 or 10900K

Dec 2, 2021
Hi, I'm looking to buy a new CPU as I unfortunately have ended up running at 100% during entire gaming sessions and getting frame drops on my brand new PC, so an upgrade it is...

My situation is that I also stream at the same time, and was wondering what would be the best pick in this regard. My issue is, I have a crappy motherboard, the sad reality. But I think, if one of you insist I will replace it, but I'd rather not as this PC building project has already cost me more than twice of what it should have.

10900F and 10900KF costs almost the same atm, and honestly I'm also thinking a bit about the 10700KF.

1. I want to be future-proof
  2. I have an ASUS Prime H410M-E motherboard, I'm worried about VRM temps and longevity
  3. I can't figure if the base clock (non-K) adds alot to either gaming or streaming headroom
  4. I wanna check my current VRM temps, just for science, but have yet to do this.
  5. I stream Apex Legends, Super People, Cyberpunk soon, and AC Valhalla.
  6. I can't overclock on my motherboard, and I'm not sure I can adjust power limits either, but haven't checked yet

My current setup:
  • Asus Prime H410M-E motherboard
  • Intel i5 10400F
  • NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO
  • 2x Corsair Vengeance 8GB 3200MHz ram
  • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 OC EVO
  • Asus 27" 1080P, 144Hz monitor
  • 9x 120-140mm fans
  • 500GB M2 SSD + 1TB SATA SSD
  • Streaming in OBS

Last edited:
Solution
1)We're scripted to lose that game. Every now and then, there's an 'oopsies' that handles planned obsolescence better than other products. Like that 1080Ti, for example. It aged very well, much to Nvidia's displeasure. It'll be awhile before they do that again.
2)Your concerns are warranted. The VRMs on some of the cheaper Z490 boards get toasty with that big cpu, even with heatsinks on them! The heatsinks probably weren't well designed for that to happen.
A minor detriment, as AIOs also tend to not provide as much direct airflow over the VRM as air coolers do... but maybe it's not minor if the VRM was already getting toasty..?
Upgrade to the bigger cpu and you'll see performance improve in some places and decline just as much as they...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)We're scripted to lose that game. Every now and then, there's an 'oopsies' that handles planned obsolescence better than other products. Like that 1080Ti, for example. It aged very well, much to Nvidia's displeasure. It'll be awhile before they do that again.
2)Your concerns are warranted. The VRMs on some of the cheaper Z490 boards get toasty with that big cpu, even with heatsinks on them! The heatsinks probably weren't well designed for that to happen.
A minor detriment, as AIOs also tend to not provide as much direct airflow over the VRM as air coolers do... but maybe it's not minor if the VRM was already getting toasty..?
Upgrade to the bigger cpu and you'll see performance improve in some places and decline just as much as they did before due to VRM power throttling.

3)Base clock is pretty much irrelevant as long as you have Intel Turbo Boost enabled.
4)Get an IR gun and check it out if you want. Hwinfo can report VRM thermals, but it's probably not as accurate.
6)Motherboard that barren is going to have a physical hard limit to how much power draw it's going to tolerate; the bigger cpu may not sustain or even reach it's all core turbo because the mobo's power delivery can't handle, or keep up with it.

TL;DR: You're probably fated to replace the mobo.

Solution