[SOLVED] 10900k + Nochua d14 + 3x f12 pmw 3000 , overheat

Neod!mium

Prominent
Mar 16, 2020
I have a
3x Nochua 3000rpm fans (works on full speed after 85 C)
and Nochua d14
4x16Gb TridentZ 3600Mhz cl17 (black not neo)
MX-5 paste
I arranged everything with maximum caution

I'm not testing the CPU on the cinebench r23
and gives me a score of only 15350
My CPU goes up to 93C
Idle is 38C (750 rpm)
Idle is 27C (3000RPM) (21C room)

I also noticed that my cpu is running at 4600 mhz on the benchmark.

The idle runs at 5000-5100mhz Max (average 2900mhz)

I set the turbo boost setting to bios and reduced the automatic voltage.
CPU 1.36
VCCSA 1.2
VCCIO 1.24
RAM 1.39

everything works 100% stably, it never crashed.

Somehow it seems to me that the temperature is too high.
All parts are new.
I removed all the protective foils, I even examined whether the oval surface of the processor or the cooler.
I checked with a vertical ruler and light pointed at an angle of 30-45 degrees. the light did not pass.
I don't know if this is a good method but it's the best I've ever thought of.

I’m not asking too much, I just want a processor that doesn’t overheat and that gives a score like everyone else.

thanks for reading

Solution
My CPU goes up to 93C
Idle is 38C (750 rpm)
Idle is 27C (3000RPM) (21C room
Ok, looks normalish for a mediocre airflow case. At idle, cpus are generally 6-15°C above ambient depending on airflow. Ambient to an aircooler is Not the outside temp, but the temp of the air surrounding the heatsink, inside the case. Regardless of fans or rpm, if the air isn't moving well, it'll remain warmer inside the case, and idle temps will go up. If you manually apply voltages, you will disable Intel speed-step and voltages will remain at the set level, not dropping to power saving levels. So idle temps will be higher.

I'm not testing the CPU on the cinebench r23...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
My CPU goes up to 93C
Idle is 38C (750 rpm)
Idle is 27C (3000RPM) (21C room
Ok, looks normalish for a mediocre airflow case. At idle, cpus are generally 6-15°C above ambient depending on airflow. Ambient to an aircooler is Not the outside temp, but the temp of the air surrounding the heatsink, inside the case. Regardless of fans or rpm, if the air isn't moving well, it'll remain warmer inside the case, and idle temps will go up. If you manually apply voltages, you will disable Intel speed-step and voltages will remain at the set level, not dropping to power saving levels. So idle temps will be higher.

On CB r.23, the 10900k is getting 15,945. The 10700k is 12k ish. You are pretty much exactly where you should be, being 100MHz slower than the 10900k.

1 core turbo is 5.2GHz. All core turbo is 4.6GHz. Normal results.

The idle runs at 5000-5100mhz Max (average 2900mhz)
That's not idle. That's the pc actually under a load. Idle is not the period when You aren't doing anything on the pc, idle is when the PC isn't doing anything except windows background tasks. Usage will be 5% or less. If you are seeing speeds that high, there's something running, like malware or other programs.

Last edited:
Solution

Neod!mium

Prominent
Mar 16, 2020

Case is open

Cpu is on C state C2, eist enable, C1e enable
Speed shifting disable
Speed step enable

Auto voltage for cpu is 1.44v and its too much
(MBO iGame Colorful z490 x v20)

Here are pic idle

View: https://imgur.com/a/YPM2byk

also here is score of 16900

(Benchmark is without blotware)

Here is pic on load

View: https://imgur.com/a/gm8seJD

also idle is about 1% to 4% on task manager all time cpu temp is right now 44C

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Chassis is open, but you're not going to leave it like that, are you? Test it as you intend to use it.

All core for a 10900K is some 4.6ghz - 4.9ghz, depending on the type of load.
Cinebench R23 utilizes AVX.

I set the turbo boost setting to bios and reduced the automatic voltage.
CPU 1.36
VCCSA 1.2
VCCIO 1.24
RAM 1.39
That first one, is quite high from what I've seen in other threads, which(IIRC) has been more in the range of 1.26 - 1.32v, but those folks were pushing overclocks. You're not, so you should be able to apply less.
No idea why you're touching SA and IO. Those are usually memory related and don't need to be touched most of the time.
Don't know why ram is set 0.04v higher. You should've been able to set XMP and forget about it.

Might be a good idea to restore bios defaults and start over - turn on XMP and only tweak cpu Vcore.

Reactions: Neod!mium

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
I think the problem is the case. When asked what kind of case it is you just say “it’s open”, twice now. This makes me think you’re embarrassed to talk about your case, which makes me think of this situation:

5-F8-E74-EF-B7-F9-4-E52-BD4-B-DB41-B1-B30-EB5.jpg

Dec 5, 2021
What's the model of your tower? from where are the noctua fans grabbing the air to cool the fins? your temps are not super concerning but they are indeed high. An open case means nothing if your dissipation grabs hot air from other components that are near it

Neod!mium

Prominent
Mar 16, 2020
Chassis is open, but you're not going to leave it like that, are you? Test it as you intend to use it.

All core for a 10900K is some 4.6ghz - 4.9ghz, depending on the type of load.
Cinebench R23 utilizes AVX.

That first one, is quite high from what I've seen in other threads, which(IIRC) has been more in the range of 1.26 - 1.32v, but those folks were pushing overclocks. You're not, so you should be able to apply less.
No idea why you're touching SA and IO. Those are usually memory related and don't need to be touched most of the time.
Don't know why ram is set 0.04v higher. You should've been able to set XMP and forget about it.

Might be a good idea to restore bios defaults and start over - turn on XMP and only tweak cpu Vcore.

I put it down
cpu voltage at 1.28v
vccio 1.2v
vccsa 1.2v
frame 1.35v

and I got a score of 15700
but again it is nowhere near 16900
and cpu temperature is at 80C max (21C room)

What is the recommended voltage on the CPU on the toorbo boost (mbo bios) settings?

The motherboard gives 1.44v on the turbo boost without adjusting it.

I think the problem is the case. When asked what kind of case it is you just say “it’s open”, twice now. This makes me think you’re embarrassed to talk about your case, which makes me think of this situation:

The case is normally not expensive
(msgw) some weird brand.
glass front and sides completely.

I have a problem that the fans from the case do not accelerate with the temperature of the processor. Some just keep the initial temperature I set for them.
And I adjusted the speeds in the bios as I adjusted the cpu fans.
While the CPU fans are accelerating, the ones on the case are standing at the initial speed.
I saw in the bios and the temperature of the mother to show.
Perhaps these three front fans stick to the mother temperature which is significantly lower.
So they don't accelerate with temperature?
The fans are pwm 4 pin all.

(during CPU testing I set them to max 1000 rpm and 3 fans on the case)

What's the model of your tower? from where are the noctua fans grabbing the air to cool the fins? your temps are not super concerning but they are indeed high. An open case means nothing if your dissipation grabs hot air from other components that are near it

Nothing is hot next to the processor

Ram, motherboard, cooler, gpu, case

the problem with voltage was the most

but I've already written that the fans on the case don't accelerate on their own.
But I have to put them on the fastest settings.

iGame colorful z490 x v20 motherboard (not proud but that's what I have)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
and I got a score of 15700
but again it is nowhere near 16900
and cpu temperature is at 80C max (21C room)

That link is not very reliable; why is there such a gap between 10900K and 10900KF, when the latter is the same cpu with the iGPU disabled?
There's nothing else to go on either from said link besides some graphs and numbers - no motherboard settings shared, no nothing - gotta take it with a grain of salt.

What is the recommended voltage on the CPU on the toorbo boost (mbo bios) settings?

The motherboard gives 1.44v on the turbo boost without adjusting it.
1)There really isn't one, for the most part...
The variance in silicon quality between cpus kinda prevents a one size fits all; to accommodate that, vendors ship their boards to apply more voltage than necessary by default. It guarantees the advertised clocks with even the worst binned samples.

2)You're looking at VID - the voltage requested by the cpu or its cores, and not Vcore - the voltage actually supplied by the voltage regulator.

Neod!mium

Prominent
Mar 16, 2020
That link is not very reliable; why is there such a gap between 10900K and 10900KF, when the latter is the same cpu with the iGPU disabled?
There's nothing else to go on either from said link besides some graphs and numbers - no motherboard settings shared, no nothing - gotta take it with a grain of salt.

1)There really isn't one, for the most part...
The variance in silicon quality between cpus kinda prevents a one size fits all; to accommodate that, vendors ship their boards to apply more voltage than necessary by default. It guarantees the advertised clocks with even the worst binned samples.

2)You're looking at VID - the voltage requested by the cpu or its cores, and not Vcore - the voltage actually supplied by the voltage regulator.

I see that almost everyone gets results of 16000 to 17000 cpu by default and that annoys me a bit because I paid the same as them and I have less.
My overclocked processor will be the same as their standard.
There are a lot of results on ytbu.

I don't know what VID is or where to set it.
In my bios I only have 4 voltages to adjust
CPU
VCCIO
VCCSA
RAM

Maybe I can tune in to the Intel (R) Extreme Tuning Utility?
if I can set, how much you should set?
I have already posted the test results, does it say how much is the VID?
I see it says VID 0 to 9
maximum voltage goes up to 1,456v
it seems too much to me ... and now it bites my eyes xD

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
'Almost everyone'... ok, I got no counter for that, save for how many people out of the 10900K owners that represents...

I don't know what VID is or where to set it.
I already said what VID is: the voltage the cpu cores request from the voltage regulator. You don't set it.
Vcore is what they actually receive, and what you do have some control over.

In my bios I only have 4 voltages to adjust
CPU
VCCIO
VCCSA
RAM
You only need to touch one of those. Leave 2 and 3 on auto. 4 is taken care of by turning on XMP in bios.
In the very first screenshot you posted, Vcore is right there at the very top.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I can run my 10900F when I get home to see how close it comes to that score. I run a fixed 1.35 and power limits disabled, draws about 200W. But it certainly does a 4.6Ghz all core with no issues (also water cooled) My memory is a little slower, but I haven't tried overclocking it either.

A few other 10900k/10850k owners around we can ask.

But if they are going for all core overclocks, they are going to post higher numbers. Stock frequencies look about 16000 points. Saw 18000 listed as well, must be a particularly good example running over 5Ghz, probably with very tuned memory (or it may be a LN2 result)

Oh I did do quick R23 run when I first built it, Cinebench R23: 14898

But I didn't do any optimization, program closings, anything. Just wanted to see if it was stable.

Neod!mium

Prominent
Mar 16, 2020
I can run my 10900F when I get home to see how close it comes to that score. I run a fixed 1.35 and power limits disabled, draws about 200W. But it certainly does a 4.6Ghz all core with no issues (also water cooled) My memory is a little slower, but I haven't tried overclocking it either.

A few other 10900k/10850k owners around we can ask.

But if they are going for all core overclocks, they are going to post higher numbers. Stock frequencies look about 16000 points. Saw 18000 listed as well, must be a particularly good example running over 5Ghz, probably with very tuned memory (or it may be a LN2 result)

Oh I did do quick R23 run when I first built it, Cinebench R23: 14898

But I didn't do any optimization, program closings, anything. Just wanted to see if it was stable.

thank u guys

So everything is fine then i set it right, now

my cpu isnot overclocked so 15700 can be overclocked to 16300 probably

u just didnt answare on this question

I have a problem that the fans from the case do not accelerate with the temperature of the processor. Some just keep the initial temperature I set for them.
And I adjusted the speeds in the bios as I adjusted the cpu fans.
While the CPU fans are accelerating, the ones on the case are standing at the initial speed.
I saw in the bios and the temperature of the mother to show.
Perhaps these three front fans stick to the mother temperature which is significantly lower.
So they don't accelerate with temperature?
The fans are pwm 4 pin all.

(during CPU testing I set them to max 1000 rpm and 3 fans on the case)

ty u all

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Can't tell you much about a Colorful motherboard. Most motherboard fan options that allow speed control also let you set the temperature it is monitoring. But you may have mixed fan ports, some that are 4-pin and controllable, and others that are standard 3-pin. The same could apply to your fans.

You may also have the capability to switch between DC and PWM control, depending again on your fan models.

Not uncommon for chassis to come with more basic fans.