Dec 3, 2020
I want to build a new PC, mostly for gaming. i play pretty CPU intensive games like flight sims, arma 3, etc. so i want a powerful CPU and overclock it to around 5GHZ. (intel only tho out of personal preference!)
i currently have a rig with a 6700k @ 4,6 GHZ but i will use that as a backup PC and for guests when we play together.

The questions is should i buy a 10900k or wait for rocket lake?

what bothers me about rocket lake is that it only has 8 cores and imo it's only a botch because intel wants to win back their "best gaming CPU" title do build something to stay in competition until they release alder lake. I know core count is not that important for gaming AT THE MOMENT but i won't build another rig for the next 5-6 years so i want something future proof and 8 cores is what gets me there...
on the other hand rocket lake will have a higher IPC and perform much butter single core in the 5GHZ range...

so i really don't know what to do... 10900k or 11900k? what do you guys say? money isn't a factor here...
(please no ryzen recommendations. out of personal preference i want to stay on intel.)

EDIT: i want to buy it no later than Q1 2021, so if rocket lake won't release a 11900k and only let's say a 11600k i would go for the 10900k)

Last edited:
Solution
it would be quite early to speculate on what performance will be available from Intel's next generation. Certainly the claimed 19-20% IPC increase is only great if there is no clock speed decrease offsetting some/most of these gains... That this will be yet another 14 nm offering is hardly very inspiring...

(I've seen some of the preliminary leaks, but, I'd prefer to see real games compared , vice some of the more questionable yardsticks as CPU-Z single/multicore, Geekbench, Userbench, etc... You are not going to see a CPU that rocks at BF5 that sucks at other things, IMO..)

They might squeeze out just enough to dethrone 5800X /5900X as gaming 'kings', but, we will see...
it would be quite early to speculate on what performance will be available from Intel's next generation. Certainly the claimed 19-20% IPC increase is only great if there is no clock speed decrease offsetting some/most of these gains... That this will be yet another 14 nm offering is hardly very inspiring...

(I've seen some of the preliminary leaks, but, I'd prefer to see real games compared , vice some of the more questionable yardsticks as CPU-Z single/multicore, Geekbench, Userbench, etc... You are not going to see a CPU that rocks at BF5 that sucks at other things, IMO..)

They might squeeze out just enough to dethrone 5800X /5900X as gaming 'kings', but, we will see...

Last edited:
Reactions: CompuTronix
Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I want to build a new PC, mostly for gaming. i play pretty CPU intensive games like flight sims, arma 3, etc. so i want a powerful CPU and overclock it to around 5GHZ. (intel only tho out of personal preference!)
i currently have a rig with a 6700k @ 4,6 GHZ but i will use that as a backup PC and for guests when we play together.

The questions is should i buy a 10900k or wait for rocket lake?

what bothers me about rocket lake is that it only has 8 cores and imo it's only a botch because intel wants to win back their "best gaming CPU" title do build something to stay in competition until they release alder lake. I know core count is not that important for gaming AT THE MOMENT but i won't build another rig for the next 5-6 years so i want something future proof and 8 cores is what gets me there...
on the other hand rocket lake will have a higher IPC and perform much butter single core in the 5GHZ range...

so i really don't know what to do... 10900k or 11900k? what do you guys say? money isn't a factor here...
(please no ryzen recommendations. out of personal preference i want to stay on intel.)

EDIT: i want to buy it no later than Q1 2021, so if rocket lake won't release a 11900k and only let's say a 11600k i would go for the 10900k)
If you need it now then the 10900K or you can wait ever how long till real benchmarks come out.

TRENDING THREADS