[SOLVED] 10900K power draw benchmarks

• Thread starter Deleted member 2783327
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2783327

I've seen several benchmarks about CPU temps, from both sides, but I can't seem to find and tests covering power draw, which is my main focus on any CPU purchase.

Any one done such a test or has come across one somewhere?

Of the tests I have seen, they seem to suggest there might be something wrong with my cooling set up. Running x264/x265 (some encodes could be as long as 7 hours), my temps are constantly hitting 90c + with liquid temps > 40c on a 280mm H115i Pro, in a massive case with 11 case fans on both a delidded 7900X and a stock 10940X running at a lowly 4.20ghz

Before I go and splurge A$1600 on a new 10900K and new motherboard, I'd like to know how it's going to affect my electricity bill.

I did read this post: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-235w-at-4-8-ghz-with-over-90c-temps.3605203/

However, I couldn't see any links to any tests to substantiate the data provided, and it was pre-release, so potentially just rumor. (though the 9550pro link fails to connect for me so I don't know what's there).

Solution
Of the tests I have seen, they seem to suggest there might be something wrong with my cooling set up. Running x264/x265 (some encodes could be as long as 7 hours), my temps are constantly hitting 90c + with liquid temps > 40c on a 280mm H115i Pro, in a massive case with 11 case fans on both a delidded 7900X and a stock 10940X running at a lowly 4.20ghz
Your motherboards are probably pumping way too much power or volts or both into your CPUs,you have to tune that manually.
Or as the link in post #4 says:
"While Intel designed its 250W limit to keep thermals 'manageable' with a wide variety of cooling solutions, most motherboard vendors feed the chip up to ~330W of power at stock settings, leading to hideous power...
D

Deleted member 2783327

I saw that. I've read it a couple of times. Can you please point me to where it shows the power consumption for various tests at stock and overclock speeds, because I can't see it. I did read page two but it wasn't what I was looking for.

nvm. I will just skip the 10th Gen CPUs

Here is a temp review by JayzTwoCents. This is the sort of thing I waslooking for.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5BN_Y7fF2I

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2783327

@gtarayan from my earlier post...

I did read page two but it wasn't what I was looking for.

I'm not looking for a comparison to other CPUs. I'm looking for some real time power consumption tests with stock, turbo boost and overclocked results, similar to the review JayzTwoCents did.

Anyway, I guess I can't really justify A$1600 per PC to upgrade 8600K CPUs. From the review it seems I will only be getting single digit performance improvement for a significantly higher annual power consumption after upgrading 4 PCs. Given that 3 of those 4 are used mostly for gaming, the extra cores aren't worth the A$1000 price tag for the CPU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your motherboards are probably pumping way too much power or volts or both into your CPUs,you have to tune that manually.
Or as the link in post #4 says:
"While Intel designed its 250W limit to keep thermals 'manageable' with a wide variety of cooling solutions, most motherboard vendors feed the chip up to ~330W of power at stock settings, leading to hideous power consumption metrics during AVX stress tests. "

Here is a very informative video on this topic.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4th6YElNm5w

Nobody makes reviews where they show power draw next to each test they do.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2783327

@TerryLaze.

Thanks for that. I don't have a 10900K yet (and I probably won't buy one just yet),

My existing CPUs are 8600K (3), 9600K (1), 9700KF (1), 7900X (1), 7820X (1) and 10940X (1). All are overclocked moderately, but I have not tweaked voltages on any of them. I also have an I5-8500 but it runs stock.

All PCs run H100, H110 or H115 Corsair cooler variants.

The 7900X and 9600K are on an ASRock motherboard, the rest are MSI motherboards.

I guess I should try dropping voltages and see what happens, of you think that the motherboard vendors over power them.