[SOLVED] 10900k thermal throttling under stress test

DawidKar

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2013
Hi,
I built a pc with a 10900k on an msi z490 gaming edge wifi with a corsair h115i pro rgb and when i ran prime95 to stress test it, it started thermal throttling within like 10 minutes. Turns out there are 2 versions of that aio under the same name and of course i bought the 1200rpm one by accident, so i thought thats what the problem is. I managed to return it and get the h115i elite capellix. I put that on, run prime95 again and the same thing happens , im completely confused at this point:
1fDrCiz.png

My friend has the same cpu just using a kraken x63 on it and has no problem whatsoever when stress testing.
Any help would be great guys, thanks.

Solution
DawidKar,

Have you disabled all AVX test selections in Prime95?
If not, then have you configured an AVX Offset in BIOS?

XHNNFmQ.jpg

Your i9-10900K has AVX and AVX2 Instruction Sets, but not the AVX512 Instruction Set. With AVX selections enabled, Prime95 is a brutal 130% workload which will overload your processor that in turn causes extreme power consumption and the 100°C Throttle problem you're facing with your 10 Core 20 Thread processor. But without any AVX, Prime95 is a 100% workload which is nearly identical to OCCT's first test, called "CPU", if it's configured for Small Data Set, Normal Mode, Steady Load and SSE Instruction Set (no AVX). The workload in CineBench...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Have you looked at the BIOS settings at all?

CPU core voltage, MCE, Power Limit settings. Core voltage on auto is generally overly aggressive.

That it didn't throttle immediately says you are just overwhelming the cooler once the water reaches temperature.

DawidKar

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2013
So I turned off MCE and tried doing adaptive negative offset starting at -0.07 and going down, I was still thermal throttling after a while until I got to -0.1 but then it would eventually blue screen. Any other suggestions, I tried following what other people have done because I don't really know what I'm doing.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
DawidKar,

Have you disabled all AVX test selections in Prime95?
If not, then have you configured an AVX Offset in BIOS?

XHNNFmQ.jpg

Your i9-10900K has AVX and AVX2 Instruction Sets, but not the AVX512 Instruction Set. With AVX selections enabled, Prime95 is a brutal 130% workload which will overload your processor that in turn causes extreme power consumption and the 100°C Throttle problem you're facing with your 10 Core 20 Thread processor. But without any AVX, Prime95 is a 100% workload which is nearly identical to OCCT's first test, called "CPU", if it's configured for Small Data Set, Normal Mode, Steady Load and SSE Instruction Set (no AVX). The workload in CineBench R23 and R20 MultiCore tests are also very similar to Prime95 and OCCT as detailed above.

Note that small FFT's is ideal for thermal testing because it's a steady-state workload.

CT :sol:

Solution