Question 10900K won't TB past 4.9 GHz, eventhough it's super cool

Hey there,

I've had Asus Maximus XII Formula, and I ran her on BiOS v. 0403 and 0606, but I've had this issue, of not being able to pass the 4.9 GHz Threshold on my 10900K with all settings set to Auto.

Now I have Asus Maximus XII Extreme, and I still have the same issue. It's strating to run me nuts. I mean I'm able to achieve all core 4.9 GHz easily with up to ~ 70°C, but when my PC idles and I load only 1 - 2 cores, it's always 4.9 GHz and all other cores run at 0.8 GHz.

Please tell me, is my CPU faulty?

These are some videos of how my CPU acts.

10900k.jpg

I tried clean install, no drivers, drivers, auto drivers, asus drivers, nothing. Still the same frequencies. I also tried Ai Overclock, I managed to get overvolted 5.1 GHz all core and some nasty temperatures [around 80 - 85°C].

In general what I want is to know that my CPU isn't defunct, I'd like to see it show at least for a blip 5.3 GHz on "auto" on single core/thread load :/

Please help and advise

With kind regards

uplink

Well AUTO settings from a motherboard might have nothing to do with default settings that intel needs.
Your CPU has Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 which means that it would find the two best cores and boost them up to as high as possible within specs.
I would read up on your motherboard manual to see what what the mobo does on auto,to me it seems like it is overclocking the CPU with MCE to 4.9.
Maybe try making a post on the asus forum since the chances to find somebody that actually knows what he's saying are much higher.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000021587/processors.html

Hey there @TerryLaze ! Thank You for Your reaction!

Well, I'm starting to think, that the BiOS is the culprit here, I',m just confused, because many people in the very same configuration work just fine.

I tried Asus formus, well...to be completely honest, I'm trying Asus forums [ROG, official forums, support] for 20+ years now and not once was I able to receive helpful advice. The lack of professionalism, knowledge, wisdom and common sense among official staff and people there is with all due respect to them legendary.

So I'm using official Intel, TH and overclock forums, where I find the community quite knowledgeable, well-informed, with great reaction times and professional attitude.

I tried many BiOS/UEFi settings today, I achieved 5.0 GHz for a blip, but still, it's not what it should be. I'll be trying further on and will update the thread.

Thank You for Your time and effort!

With kind regards

uplink

A little update, and what I found out.

When I manually set each core clock/ratio and set amount of cores that can go with this setting, the threshold is 7 cores. 6 cores won't do the trick, all cores no matter how many are active will stay stuck on lowest set frequency, e.g. 4.9 Ghz, or whatever i set there [even the 5.3 GHz, if set].

When I set 7 cores, I see 5.3 GHz jumping pretty often in light threaded loads, when I set 8 cores, that's pretty much all I see. Temps are good, vCore not so great, all is set on auto, works better with SViD set to Inte's Fail Safe.

So, when I want to see 5.3 GHz boost, I need to set it to 7 - 8 cores, instead of 2, like the default. By default setting, the max. I saw was 5.0 Ghz for a microscopic blip of a second.

I hope that Asus will fix this in time, it seems like an issue of BiOS.

With kind regards

uplink

Probably going to have to look for and remove any power limits, as many mainboards keep semi-conservative 125-140W sustained TDP limits...and you certainly are not running 5.1 GHz all core turbo within that limit....

(You can easily remove the power limits within Intel's XTU, or hunt for whatever terms they describe it with within your BIOS)

@mdd1963 thank You for Your reaction!

Yeah, I removed all the limits in BiOS/UEFi settings, but I didn't use XTU, I'm an idiot. Thank You for reminding me! I'll update the thread once I tried to tweak the CPU within iXTU!

So, do You have any suggestions on what should I set how? I mean regarding Wattage please? Or some other setting?

suggest.jpg

Found something!

Any idea where to turn off the EDP whatever current limit please?

limit.jpg

So, I removed the limit, but I still have the same result :(

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS