StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
Hi, I'm throwing together a basic system for my mom, ms word, firefox, maybe some picture and very maybe some video editing. Right now the cpu and cooler are on the gigabyte motherboard using igpu and idling at 38c in bios, cpu fan 400-500 of 1300rpm max, which seems hot to me and the fans seem slow. It's just sitting in bios, the ssd isn't connected yet.

I'm trying to decide how I want to build this system, advice would be appreciated.

1090t w/ Scythe Mugen 2 Rev b. on either
gigabyte 880gma-ud2h rev 2.0, or
msi 890fxa-gd70
16gb 1600 cl9 or less gbs
antec ea380, or cm gx450, or ea750
gtx 460, amd x550 or gigabyte mobo's onboard hd 4250
OCZ vertex 180 120gb ssd and maybe an hdd, but she's never even come close to half use of that ssd yet.
And lastly windows 7 pro 64 or 10 pro 64. If i go 10 I am totally unable to avoid spending hours gutting the spyware/telemetry but if it will be a significant improvement.. I hate MS enough to enjoy doing it.

Thanks

Edit: Drunkedness strikes again, I just found the phenom ii x4 965be i thought i gave away.. so i guess that's i the mix now

Last edited:
Solution
You're worried about 38C idle in BIOS? That sounds perfect to me for the 125W Phenom II 6 core. Usually they will idle more than that in BIOS.

StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
You're worried about 38C idle in BIOS? That sounds perfect to me for the 125W Phenom II 6 core. Usually they will idle more than that in BIOS.
That's good news :) Aren't there two versions? One being a 90 something watt? The only part of the model I remember is the "CB" in the middle.. and the cooler is a pita to mount lol.. but I did also just find my NT-H1 with the 965 - so remounting for sure!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Sweet, thanks. Any advice on part selection?
Not really. The Gigabyte board would be my choice over the MSI from that era, unless you are planning to OC the 1090T for her. Then I'd pick the heat-sinked MSI. I presume those parts are your used components?

Unless she's computer-savy, you might be better off leaving the HDD out and going with just whatever size SSD will satisfy her. Sometimes folks forget not to install everything to the default drive. The SSD would fill up fast.

W10 can be easily tweaked to avoid most "telemetry" as you put it.

StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
Not really. The Gigabyte board would be my choice over the MSI from that era, unless you are planning to OC the 1090T for her. Then I'd pick the heat-sinked MSI. I presume those parts are your used components?

Unless she's computer-savy, you might be better off leaving the HDD out and going with just whatever size SSD will satisfy her. Sometimes folks forget not to install everything to the default drive. The SSD would fill up fast.

W10 can be easily tweaked to avoid most "telemetry" as you put it.
Ya, these are all components on hand. I guess any OC will depend on performance, maybe a smaller hdd for the temp folder, and I think she could manage storage on it.. tho maybe not lol. I found my old x4 965be, so it turns out I can build two rigs. Three with another gpu as I think something is wrong with the x550. Maybe I'll make one for streaming.. and start streaming something haha.

btw "telemetry" is not what I call it, it's what MS calls it, I call it plain old spying ;) And yes most is easy to nix, but there is some stuff deep in there, and some ingrained in such a way you need to find an external way of stopping it. Every iteration of windows intertwines it's invasive shenanigans with more and more integral processes so they can't be simply undone without breaking basic windows functions.