Question 10a cable on 15a power supply

Jul 27, 2019
Hello everyone, I've been planning on doing a built on a modded case (Power Mac G5) and I've been trying to reuse most parts, I've been planning on getting this power supply

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-SX800-LTI-Titanium-Capacitors/dp/B01NALZ89C/

Problem is that the original power cord of the case is a 10A 250V cable and this power supply has a 15A 250V input, would it be totally wrong to use this power cord with this power supply? Where I live we use 220V, so in worst case scenario it would be using 3,63...A right? I actually got this cable (original one from the case) because it said 16A 250V, but that's only on one side, on the other side (the side that goes to the PSU) it says 10A.

Lutfij

Titan
You should be using the power cord that came with the PSU you've linked. The reason you have an amperage rating is to notify the end user that after X Amp's the fuse will give out. So using a 10A cord on a PSU that needs 15A is a BIG no-no.

Jul 27, 2019
You should be using the power cord that came with the PSU you've linked. The reason you have an amperage rating is to notify the end user that after X Amp's the fuse will give out. So using a 10A cord on a PSU that needs 15A is a BIG no-no.
Will the power supply draw 10A though? And do you know why does it say 16A on one side of the power cord btw

I was thinking the same as jay32267. There's no way any standard PSU out there would draw over 5a, even at full power, in the 200+ volt areas. Here in the UK, I usually use 3a or 5a fuses on all of my PC power cables.

Last edited: