[SOLVED] 10bpc 120Hz vs 8bpc 144Hz?

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Hi

I have an Acer VG271UP which supports display port 1.2 and thus is restricted to either 120Hz 10bpc colors or 144Hz 8bpc which option should i choose.

Is 8bpc distinguishable from 10bpc.
Do modern games support 10bpc.
While using 10bpc will it stress the gpu more.

Please suggest and let me know the optimal selection here.

Solution
Games and GPU's are not affected by this performance wise, this is all handled by the monitor. 10bpc just means your color range is widely more available which reduces color banding (those streaks of color you may notice while watching youtube videos). It's simply because the monitor may not have the ability to reproduce every shade the camera recorded.

So in other words, the options are either you want better color quality at a lower refresh rate or lower color quality but higher refresh rate?. The avg person has an 8bpc monitor so the color fidelity is not bad at all. Personally I prefer higher refresh rates especially for FPS games since speeds over color quality gives more of an advantage.

So it's up to you in the end. But to...
Games and GPU's are not affected by this performance wise, this is all handled by the monitor. 10bpc just means your color range is widely more available which reduces color banding (those streaks of color you may notice while watching youtube videos). It's simply because the monitor may not have the ability to reproduce every shade the camera recorded.

So in other words, the options are either you want better color quality at a lower refresh rate or lower color quality but higher refresh rate?. The avg person has an 8bpc monitor so the color fidelity is not bad at all. Personally I prefer higher refresh rates especially for FPS games since speeds over color quality gives more of an advantage.

So it's up to you in the end. But to reiterate, it will not stress your GPU.

Solution

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion but is the color quality distinguishable between 10bpc and 8bpc??

Is there a test where i can see the difference, many suggest they are not and to opt for the higher refresh rate option. Is it true.