10gb ram vs 8gb ram

filflops

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
I have 2x4gb G.Skill ddr3 1600 and 1x2gb G.Skill ddr3 1600 ram.

My question: Does it hurt more than it helps to have the extra 2GB of RAM? Since it isn't benefiting from dual channel, what are the ramifications for this?

I remember reading that dual channel memory only helps about 10% of the speed, but that very well might be bullocks. I wanted to hear your guys' thoughts on it.

Thanks

Solution
668 is the true freq, DDR (DOUBLE data rate) you take true freq x 2 = effective or (roughly 668 x 2 = 1336 (1333) so that's good, the timings aren't, try changing them manually to 9-9-9-27 and raise DRAM voltage to 1.575
I would rather have dual channel mode in 8GB than 10GB of single channel. I have no numbers to support my position.

I use tri-channel memory and have no numbers to support that, either. It seemed like a good idea at the time is all I can say.

filflops

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
I'm still skeptical. Even if the bullocks I heard was true (10% increase from dual channel), that makes 8gb as nice as 8.8gb. 10 clearly looks better. Can someone describe why dual channel is so important? Perhaps some data?

I suppose one could just as easily ask you to show us how you saturate the 8GB you have? Capacity does not equal bandwidth. I have yet to saturate my 6GB triple channel memory. I can get to 5.1/5.2GB in BF4/Ultra settings 64 player maps and in Skyrim HD texture packs. In gaming, that is about it.

Dual channel or not, if you are gaming you don't need more than 8GB of RAM. Everyone here can tell you with a great deal certainty that, the capacity you are using (8GB) is enough RAM as you will never use even that and that at this capacity, it is more important to have dual channel mode than it is to have 2GB more capacity you'd never use anyhow. At least if you see the 10% dual channel bump it is something vs. the nothing you receive in usable capacity.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
What mobo and CPU? Good chance that you won't lose dual channel, Intel mobos/CPUs have had flex mode available for a long time, if so you'd have 8GB in dual channel and the other (odd) 2 running in single....Many AMD mobo/CPUs also incorporate a hybrid version of flex mode...either way if they all play together the 10 is better than 8 if doing memory centric apps or using large data sets that can require the extra DRAM, will cut down on the use of the page file