[SOLVED] 10Gig sfp+ NIC card with MSI X570-A PRO

Jan 4, 2021
Hi, I have an Intel 82599EN Single-Port 10G SFP+ PCIe 2.0 x8, Ethernet Network Interface Card and my motherboard is MSI X570-A PRO

Motherboard as:

PCI-E x16 x 2
PCI-E x1 x 3

So my question is: how do I get 10Gbps on my lan? I only get 1gbps with that configuration. Is there any card I can get?

Thanks.

Solution
Hi, I have an Intel 82599EN Single-Port 10G SFP+ PCIe 2.0 x8, Ethernet Network Interface Card and my motherboard is MSI X570-A PRO

Motherboard as:

PCI-E x16 x 2
PCI-E x1 x 3

So my question is: how do I get 10Gbps on my lan? I only get 1gbps with that configuration. Is there any card I can get?

Thanks.
You should be able to use the second x16 slot (which is an x4 data path). PCIe 2.0 x4 had a 2GB/s (16Gb/s) bandwidth. That should support your 10GE card.
You WILL still need the rest of the 10GE infrastructure as described above.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
As USAFRet says, ALL .... That means the entire wired network cabling system in your house. Then, of course, to get anything else you are trying to use to communicate with your computer at that rate, the OTHER device you are trying to use (say, a RAID storage server, or another computer) also must be capable of that speed. And very importantly, you MAY be expecting to achieve that speed when you are using the internet. That means your internet service from your provider must also be capable of that speed, and you'll have to pay a significant premium price for that. Many service providers do not even have that capability. And finally, you also are limited by the speed of the website you are communicating with. We have a 1 Gb/s connection by fibre optic cable to our house, and we do get that speed in best conditions. But I know that many file downloads proceed much more slowly because the SENDER at the other end cannot match that speed. If I'm downloading many files simultaneously, the download speeds of the several files can be quite different, even though the total data transfer rate for the whole bunch is high.

kanewolf

Titan

Motherboard as:

PCI-E x16 x 2
PCI-E x1 x 3

Thanks.
You should be able to use the second x16 slot (which is an x4 data path). PCIe 2.0 x4 had a 2GB/s (16Gb/s) bandwidth. That should support your 10GE card.
You WILL still need the rest of the 10GE infrastructure as described above.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
You need a 10Gbps switch unless doing a direct link to another device like some people do between their primary PC and NAS, you need whatever devices you want to connect to at 10Gbps to also have 10Gbps ports and you need all of the wiring in-between those devices to be able to handle 10Gbps too.

It isn't really "all devices" or "all wiring" as others have suggested, only the devices you want 10Gbps to/from and the wiring in-between those. If you are going to pull new wiring though, may as well make it 10G-ready and not worry about possibly having to rip things out to upgrade wiring later.

Jan 4, 2021
You need a 10Gbps switch unless doing a direct link to another device like some people do between their primary PC and NAS, you need whatever devices you want to connect to at 10Gbps to also have 10Gbps ports and you need all of the wiring in-between those devices to be able to handle 10Gbps too.

It isn't really "all devices" or "all wiring" as others have suggested, only the devices you want 10Gbps to/from and the wiring in-between those. If you are going to pull new wiring though, may as well make it 10G-ready and not worry about possibly having to rip things out to upgrade wiring later.

My switch is a ubiquiti with 2 sfp+ ports. Im using 10g sfp with mmf cables. Still grt 1g on all devices.. my computer says that im connected to 1gbs and my freenas server also..

InvalidError

Titan
My switch is a ubiquiti with 2 sfp+ ports. Im using 10g sfp with mmf cables. Still grt 1g on all devices.. my computer says that im connected to 1gbs and my freenas server also..
Kane beat me to it: you may need to manually enable 10G on both sides.

Some equipment can be picky about which SFP(+) modules they support, the 1Gbps could be a compatibility issue such as exceeding the per-port power budget.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
InvaidError's second paragraph is quite right, and my post was not clear on this. NOT everything in your entire network needs to be that fast. But the communication network itself (the cables, the router, and any switches between your computer and the destination device) all need to be that fast. So, too, do whatever devices you are trying to use at that speed. But, for example, you certainly do not need that speed in your printer or scanner that are connected to that network.

InvalidError

Titan
NOT everything in your entire network needs to be that fast.
Well, OP has clarified in #6 that his issue is his SFP+ NIC and allegedly SFP+ switch are not running at 10G using MMF. The rest of the network does not really matter here.

If everything is configured correctly and 10G still isn't working, it could be that his MMF run is longer than what is allowed by his cable's modal bandwidth. For 10GBase-SR on FDDI fiber, that would be 25m which should still be good enough for most use-cases. Using some dodgy optics like 10GBase-SRL, the range can be as short as 11m on OM1 fiber and certainly become an issue.

Jan 4, 2021
Well, OP has clarified in #6 that his issue is his SFP+ NIC and allegedly SFP+ switch are not running at 10G using MMF. The rest of the network does not really matter here.

If everything is configured correctly and 10G still isn't working, it could be that his MMF run is longer than what is allowed by his cable's modal bandwidth. For 10GBase-SR on FDDI fiber, that would be 25m which should still be good enough for most use-cases. Using some dodgy optics like 10GBase-SRL, the range can be as short as 11m on OM1 fiber and certainly become an issue.

I use Finisar FTLX8571D3BCL SFP+ (10GBASE-SR 10G Ethernet, 850nm Wavelength) with OM4 MMF patch cords (10 foot).

and for those wondering if I really have spf+ ports, this is the switch I have:

EdgeSwitch 48 Lite
Model: ES-48-Lite
• (48) Gigabit RJ45 Ports
• (2) SFP+ Ports
• (2) SFP Ports

Jan 4, 2021
bah, sorry about all that guys. I swapped my SFPs with some fibertop SFPs. Now I'm at 10gbps on my lan. I tought the issue was an PCIE x8 card on a x16 slot. My bad..

InvalidError

Titan
bah, sorry about all that guys. I swapped my SFPs with some fibertop SFPs. Now I'm at 10gbps on my lan. I tought the issue was an PCIE x8 card on a x16 slot. My bad..
It happens. At least you got it sorted out. As I wrote in #8, SFPs can be picky. I had an internship at a TV studio a long time ago where we needed to connect two switches over fiber and had to try four different sets of SFPs to find one that worked properly with with switches at both ends of the run. I know my end of the run had stackable Nortel hardware (gives you an idea how long ago that was), don't remember hearing what was at the other.