[SOLVED] 10K SCSI issue

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I have 2 Seagate 300GB 10,000 rpm scsi drives, I installed win XP to one of them but was having delayed write failure problems, I bought a new 68 pin SCSI cable and problem solved, but now if I put both drives in, they register on the SCSI card utility as drive 0 and drive 1 no jumper on drive 0 and a jumper on the first 2 pins on drive 1.

but I get a failure to boot, strike F1 or F2 key but if I take drive 1 out un-power and remove the cable, leaving drive 0 in and on the end connected with the terminator, it comes up and boots into Win XP just fine with no delayed write errors after installing XP and SP3/Net frame 4.0

on the cable I was getting delayed write failures on both drives would come up just fine, my new cable is old stock brand new.

the Adaptec ultra320 PCI-X card sees both drives as 0 and 1

but refuses to boot, drive 0 is on the end of the SCSI cable drive 1 is on the next connector after the first one.

Solution
See if setting it to drive 2 or higher works.
No idea if this is possible/makes sense (my SCSI knowledge amounts to "you need a terminator" "don't overlap device IDs" "the ports look weird" ).
But worth a shot.

ragnarok0274

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
See if setting it to drive 2 or higher works.
No idea if this is possible/makes sense (my SCSI knowledge amounts to "you need a terminator" "don't overlap device IDs" "the ports look weird" ).
But worth a shot.

Solution