[SOLVED] 10m of outdoor Cat 6 cable lags internet? Bad cable?

Lechu1777

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2013
Hello,

So the scenario of my parents network is:
  1. LTE antenna on the roof and mobile router with built in modem hidden next to it in electric box. The router is in bridge mode. It is huawei b818.
  2. Cat 6 cable, says it is for outdoor purpose, goes into the house. I believe it is FTP but don't have access to it right now. The length is 10m and it already had rj45s when bought. It was cheap but it connects at 1Gbps.
  3. there is Asus 86u with Merlin software inside with this cable connected to WAN obviously
  4. there is 2,4 and 5 GHz used in smart mode. None wired devices.

So the problem is that it seems like the cable is bad. Pages load randomly, either not at all, partially, have to refresh many times or wait for like 20 seconds and then it instantly loads all right. Sometimes when I move around a single page like YouTube, a few clicks work normally. Why do I think it is cable?

1. tried like 6 DNSs, no change
  2. tried many devices, 2,4 and 5 Ghz. Happens on all of them
  3. the speed is high, it is LTE so it is fluent but when I was testing it was 120-130 Mbps (it is LTE advanced pro with 3 frequencies working at once 1800+2100+2600 fixed to work with single BTS using huawei manager and directional antenna mimo) and it is stable.
  4. pings are very low 15-25ms and there is none packet loss. Pretty much ever. The most I have recorded is one ping response around 120ms after maybe 70 pings.
  5. when the pages dont load all right, I can still have pinging terminal opened and the packets are not lost nor latencies go higher. I can also play online games at ~50ms and there are no issues. Same with netflix, even 4k movies. They just load all right.
  6. same happened before Asus was bought
  7. the antenna had been used before for many years and it was all good. The problem started to happen when I changed the mobile router and used the cable.
  8. I have created wireless connection using repeater mode on Asus and established 5ghz bridge to the router on the roof and pages started loading fine. The connection over 5ghz to the roof is not very reliable but still the difference is visible a lot. That would also exclude the mobile router from being a problem. I guess.
  9. I can ping the pages and they respond just fine. But I can use any page, it is not related to what I wanna open. Can be even Google.
  10. Tried default Asus soft. No difference.
  11. Tried some old router instead of Asus. No diff again.

So after all the things I have tried what I am asking you is if you have any other idea what could be wrong? Or is it what I think it is, the cable causes something like packets corruption or checksum fail or whatever Ethernet does to validate data?

If so then what kind of cable should I use outdoor to provide 1Gbps ethernet to 1Gbps WAN port in the router at 10 meters? The cable just goes freely close to the wall, it is only attached using ziplock in one place. I believe Cat 6 should be more than enough for 10 meters and 1 Gbps but I probably just bought too cheap cable? So should I go again for FTP? Or maybe UTP? What producers are verified?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Solution
Your problem is it could be something other than the cable and you need a way to isolate things. Can you take something like a laptop out near the router and plug in with a short cable.

The main problem you see with cables now days is all the fake cable being sold. Quality outdoor rated cable work great. There are a couple problems. The first the words outdoor cable or direct bury cable really don't mean anything. The vendor can make up his own rules. There are offcial standards the cable must meet, mostly this is the same as electrical cables. This might be included in the fine print.

The much more common fake cable you find is CCA cable. Since it is not pure copper is saves money but it has many issues with the end...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

So the scenario of my parents network is:
  1. LTE antenna on the roof and mobile router with built in modem hidden next to it in electric box. The router is in bridge mode. It is huawei b818.
  2. Cat 6 cable, says it is for outdoor purpose, goes into the house. I believe it is FTP but don't have access to it right now. The length is 10m and it already had rj45s when bought. It was cheap but it connects at 1Gbps.
  3. there is Asus 86u with Merlin software inside with this cable connected to WAN obviously
  4. there is 2,4 and 5 GHz used in smart mode. None wired devices.
So the problem is that it seems like the cable is bad. Pages load randomly, either not at all, partially, have to refresh many times or wait for like 20 seconds and then it instantly loads all right. Sometimes when I move around a single page like YouTube, a few clicks work normally. Why do I think it is cable?

1. tried like 6 DNSs, no change
  2. tried many devices, 2,4 and 5 Ghz. Happens on all of them
  3. the speed is high, it is LTE so it is fluent but when I was testing it was 120-130 Mbps (it is LTE advanced pro with 3 frequencies working at once 1800+2100+2600 fixed to work with single BTS using huawei manager and directional antenna mimo) and it is stable.
  4. pings are very low 15-25ms and there is none packet loss. Pretty much ever. The most I have recorded is one ping response around 120ms after maybe 70 pings.
  5. when the pages dont load all right, I can still have pinging terminal opened and the packets are not lost nor latencies go higher. I can also play online games at ~50ms and there are no issues. Same with netflix, even 4k movies. They just load all right.
  6. same happened before Asus was bought
  7. the antenna had been used before for many years and it was all good. The problem started to happen when I changed the mobile router and used the cable.
  8. I have created wireless connection using repeater mode on Asus and established 5ghz bridge to the router on the roof and pages started loading fine. The connection over 5ghz to the roof is not very reliable but still the difference is visible a lot. That would also exclude the mobile router from being a problem. I guess.
  9. I can ping the pages and they respond just fine. But I can use any page, it is not related to what I wanna open. Can be even Google.
  10. Tried default Asus soft. No difference.
  11. Tried some old router instead of Asus. No diff again.
So after all the things I have tried what I am asking you is if you have any other idea what could be wrong? Or is it what I think it is, the cable causes something like packets corruption or checksum fail or whatever Ethernet does to validate data?

If so then what kind of cable should I use outdoor to provide 1Gbps ethernet to 1Gbps WAN port in the router at 10 meters? The cable just goes freely close to the wall, it is only attached using ziplock in one place. I believe Cat 6 should be more than enough for 10 meters and 1 Gbps but I probably just bought too cheap cable? So should I go again for FTP? Or maybe UTP? What producers are verified?

Thanks for any suggestions.
It is easy to test. BYPASS the cable. Temporarily run a new cable in through a window. Any round cat5e or cat6a 100% copper 22-24 ga cable. Doesn't have to be outdoor rated for a test cable.

Lechu1777

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2013
It is easy to test. BYPASS the cable. Temporarily run a new cable in through a window. Any round cat5e or cat6a 100% copper 22-24 ga cable. Doesn't have to be outdoor rated for a test cable.

I wish I could do this but I don't have so long cable but most importantly there is currently around 15cm of snow on the roof haha 😅 That is why I only could go for bypassing over wireless bridge for now. So I will have to take my chances. Worst case scenario I will return the cable if it is not gonna help, the step to buy an indoor one first isn't necessary. Yes I have to wait for better weather but I can already look around and order something that is tested and verified by someone. I can't be the only one using Ethernet cable outside.

Your problem is it could be something other than the cable and you need a way to isolate things. Can you take something like a laptop out near the router and plug in with a short cable.

The main problem you see with cables now days is all the fake cable being sold. Quality outdoor rated cable work great. There are a couple problems. The first the words outdoor cable or direct bury cable really don't mean anything. The vendor can make up his own rules. There are offcial standards the cable must meet, mostly this is the same as electrical cables. This might be included in the fine print.

The much more common fake cable you find is CCA cable. Since it is not pure copper is saves money but it has many issues with the end connectors and since the metals expand at different rates being exposed to outdoor temp swings can cause the cable to fail. You might be able to tell what kind of cable you have by looking at the markings. Most CCA cable is marked CCA and copper cable many times has the letters CU stamped on it.

Solution