11-Drive DRAMless SSD Round Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponchato

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Look you guys need to get rid of this autoplaying, auto-resizing video or I'm done here. A tech website should not be this unusable. Skipping half a page down when I scroll slightly too far is incredibly annoying and you KNOW it irritates people and kills site usability. If it's not fixed or removed by this time next week (that's February 18th, 2017) I'm never coming to Tom's again.

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
I agree with ponchato. Every page has this big video that plays the same damn thing that is usually the biggest image on the screen. For months it was a smaller video of Doom that played over and over, and now is a big video of cherry keys. WTF.
Can't you just tuck in normal ads?

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
I have a WD Green 240 GB SSD (DRAM less Marvell 88SS1074 and TLC) as a Steam games drive. It works fine for that purpose, since it's mostly sequential/random reads and very few writes (only when a game updates). No reason to not get one for that purpose, even as an "enthusiast". However, I wouldn't use them as system drives. I'm using a Samsung 850 Evo for that.

Mindrax

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
Use uBlock or Adblock to prevent that.
:)
I can't believe you don't already.
Internet is a horrible place without blockers.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
On some articles, with pages that have lots of graphs, occasionally not all of them load for me. I'd say try restarting your web browser or use a different one & see if that makes a difference.

Firefox + Noscript + Adblock + Hosts file from www.winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Stop complaining and just block them.

I literally see 0 ads on Toms when I use the above with Firefox.

The host file i would say is the most important.

Even when I open Chrome 90% of the ads are gone, including the super annoying Doom video some guy was posting about yesterday. I literally had to go to another computer that didn't have the custom host file to see it. lol

I don't have adblock nor noscript with chrome so the hosts file alone is blocking those ads.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
0 ads = 0 toms

Some people's excessive blocking is probably a factor in the rest of us being beset with more obnoxious and intrusive ads. Yes, there has to be some eventual resolution to the online advertising arms race, but we're not going to solve that here.

If you like this site, don't block everything and consider clicking on a few ads that genuinely interest you.

WOW, 496 random write IOPS at QD1 for the 240GB Sandisk SSD Plus? This is why I've been warning people about this model. That's disgustingly terrible performance for a so-called SSD. That should almost be called a SATA-attached flash drive, it doesn't meet the performance I would expect from even a cheap SSD.

And I spotted a couple issues with the article: Why is there no random write data for the 500GB class, aside from steady state? And why is the page for the Sandisk SSD Plus called Sandisk Ultra Plus? The Ultra Plus is a different model. Older, as far as I know, but you can never be sure when they can change the components under the hood whenever they like.

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010

Using Firefox and Chrome, with and without AdBlock, same results. The graphs aren't just not loading, they're completely missing.

If I wanted to buy something, I would just go to newegg or amazon.

I'm not clicking your ad no matter how many Barqs advertisements with Angelina you show.

Barqs does genuinely interest me but I tend to get most of soft drink news from the local supermarket.

To be fair, I'm sure Google has enough information about me to know my habits by now to know that any ads I click would just be an attempt to generate money for a website. They would probably invalidate my clicks. lol

It almost sounds like an anime quote but "every fiber of my being is saying DON'T CLICK THE AD LEADING TO ad.doubleclick.net"

God knows what kind of java-scripts and obnoxious doom videos they have running trying to infect me with hundreds of trojans.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Okay, I'm sorry I said anything about clicking. But it's like you don't understand how this site is financed. Plus, the more people that block, the more obnoxious the ads get for everyone else.

HERETIC-1

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
Hi Chris-Good honest review again-as usual.
Very disappointed with Bics,had been waiting and hoping!!!!!!!!!!
Microns 3D MLC not looking too flash either(couldn't resist the pun there)
Seems Sammy's basic 750 EVO beats them all,and that's planer TLC.

Guess the multitude of low end drives Sandisk had will morph into the WD Green.

When the OCZ-TL100 first came out-synthetic benchmarks were promising-then
it failed dismally in most of the practical tests.
The conclusion I draw from that is-The controller knows when benchmarks are being run.
NOTE TO MANUFACTURERS-Yes we want cheaper drive's-but this race to the bottom
needs to stop......................................................................................

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
...getting back to reality: they still have ads on the site, now with more aggressive self-playing videos. Until they have another way of paying for the content (or the site gets shut down), ads are not dead.

They did have a few sponsored articles, but the vast majority of their articles aren't. I, for one, would not like to see their news & reviews remain objective.

Exactly what do you mean by that?

I don't mind a few ads on screen.

It's when 1/4 of my screen on the right and 1/4 of my screen on the left is taken up by giant ads coupled with auto playing videos in the middle that I get rid of them all.

In any case, this isn't the place for this discussion.

JonDol

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015

This was Chris not Paul :p

Status
Not open for further replies.