Question 1100 Dell PSU not working on modern motherboards

Alberto Scorrano

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
I have an "old" alienware area 51 with intel i980x, 12 Gb RAM and two radeon hd5770 working with crossfire.

I recently decided to build up a new computer from scratch, using AMD Ryzen 3800x, 8 GB ram (just to start) and my old fully working video cards (graphics is not my priority in the system, I will upgrade them later). As a mobo I try with a MSI x570 gaming plus from amazon warehouse. I use my old alienware PSU (A dell 1100 Watt H1100EF-00, fully working with my alienware!!!).

The new mobo won't start, so I think it's a bad mobo because it's from amazon warehouse. I change it with a new asus x570 pro but same thing, it won't start! I then try with another very old 350 Watt from my grandpa's computer and it works!!!

So my question is: why does the Dell PSU work with my old alienware even if it's overclocked (4.5 Ghz), but won't work at all with these new modern mobos? I used the usual 24 pin connectors for ATX and 8 pin connector for CPU. Thanks to anybody who will clarify this mistery!

Alberto Scorrano

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Thanks for your reply. As both MSI x570 Gaming Plus and Asus x570 Prime Pro manuals state, 4 pin connector is only required in case of heavy overclocking. That's not required. Anyways no, my Dell PSU doesn't have that connector, but so doesn't my old grandpa's PSU.

jonnyguru

Distinguished
I have an "old" alienware area 51 with intel i980x, 12 Gb RAM and two radeon hd5770 working with crossfire.

I recently decided to build up a new computer from scratch, using AMD Ryzen 3800x, 8 GB ram (just to start) and my old fully working video cards (graphics is not my priority in the system, I will upgrade them later). As a mobo I try with a MSI x570 gaming plus from amazon warehouse. I use my old alienware PSU (A dell 1100 Watt H1100EF-00, fully working with my alienware!!!).

The new mobo won't start, so I think it's a bad mobo because it's from amazon warehouse. I change it with a new asus x570 pro but same thing, it won't start! I then try with another very old 350 Watt from my grandpa's computer and it works!!!

So my question is: why does the Dell PSU work with my old alienware even if it's overclocked (4.5 Ghz), but won't work at all with these new modern mobos? I used the usual 24 pin connectors for ATX and 8 pin connector for CPU. Thanks to anybody who will clarify this mistery!
The Alienware Area 51 power supply is not a standard ATX pinout. You're lucky you didn't kill the new motherboard with it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS