[SOLVED] 1145mbps at router but only 110mbps at PC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan 7864

Prominent
Jan 8, 2023
Hi all,

Can you help me...
I have completed multiple speed tests on the SamKnows RealSpeed website and my 1gb Internet seems to be stuck at 110mbps at my PC?

I have a TP-Link 2.5gb LAN card and standard motherboard LAN and both have same result.

My smartphone connected with WiFi 6 has 418?
My friend has same Internet package and is getting 1140 at router and 912 at his PC?

I can't seem to fathom what's wrong here, any ideas?

110mbps is a strange number but it likely means you ethernet port is actually running at least at gigabit speeds. If it was something like 94mbps you start to suspect bad cables. You could in theory at least be getting a lot of packet loss that causes slow transfer speeds but that is rather rare.

I know nothing about that speed test. Have you checked other speed test sites maybe your pc does not like that speedtest application.

It is not uncommon for the router to get a bigger number, I think the ISP has rig stuff with the servers but it should not be a massive difference like you see.

Reactions: Dan 7864

Dan 7864

Prominent
Jan 8, 2023
110mbps is a strange number but it likely means you ethernet port is actually running at least at gigabit speeds. If it was something like 94mbps you start to suspect bad cables. You could in theory at least be getting a lot of packet loss that causes slow transfer speeds but that is rather rare.

I know nothing about that speed test. Have you checked other speed test sites maybe your pc does not like that speedtest application.

It is not uncommon for the router to get a bigger number, I think the ISP has rig stuff with the servers but it should not be a massive difference like you see.

I've have tried lots of other speed test sites and they are consistently 220mbps, only sam knows.com shows 110 (I use this one as this is what the ISP told me to use for accuracy)
When I open the network adaptor info on my pc it actually shows speed : 1.0 gbps

The only thing that confuses me us the 110/220 mbps on these speed test sites when my friend had same package an has 1gb at router and device doing same test.

I woukd add some pictures but it won't let me add drop box link for attachments to this post

You would think as long as I have been around this forum I could tell you how to post pics but I have never done it myself, most are imgur, but it likely doesn't matter. The number is the number.

This is one of those mystery find the setting in windows or find some software installed on your pc causing it. Windows is a bloated pig with all the stuff to check. I am assuming you did not take you pc over to your fiends house and you are referring to his pc.

Although it does not help to find the issue I would first start with a USB linux boot image. These run from the USB stick and are used for troubleshooting pc. It does not install on the pc, unless you tell it to, so it should not affect your windows install. web browsers are preinstalled and you can use the common speedtest sites.

This though will likely leave you back where you started you will know that it is not a hardware problem.

So you could try to disable IPv6 in the setting on the ethernet nic. Not likely the problem but easy to try.

The next common thing is the so called "gamer" network software that is installed with the bundle of bloatware that comes with many video cards and motherboard. Anything that talks about reducing latency and favoring one kind of traffic over another. Cfosspeed is a common name. Anything like this you want to uninstall.

Dan 7864

Prominent
Jan 8, 2023
I've have tried lots of other speed test sites and they are consistently 220mbps, only sam knows.com shows 110 (I use this one as this is what the ISP told me to use for accuracy)
When I open the network adaptor info on my pc it actually shows speed : 1.0 gbps

The only thing that confuses me us the 110/220 mbps on these speed test sites when my friend had same package an has 1gb at router and device doing same test.

I woukd add some pictures but it won't let me add drop box link for attachments to this post

Fixed! Now got 944mbps at my pc :)

I followed a YouTube video and changed some settings in registry with tcp optimizer 4

Status
Not open for further replies.