[SOLVED] 1151 socket

Jul 12, 2019
I have a intel i5-6400 processor that has a socket 1151 and I want to upgrade my motherboard that takes my processor but that will also take a intel i7 or a intel i5-9400k so when I'am able to upgrade my processor I will not have to upgrade my motherboard again and supports DDR4. So the problem i have is if a get a motherboard that supports the socket 1151 8th gen intel processor will i be able to use my intel i5-6400 6th gen processor on that motherboard?

Last edited:
Solution
if you have a tight budget you can look for an i7 CPU for your bord like a 6700 or 7700. but the bord you have now will not work with any 8th or 9th gen CPUs

the price for both intel and AMD CPU's will become almost identical eventually since ryzen 3 CPU's reportedly have almost or better performance so you can't go wrong with any of them. just go for what gives the best price
I have a intel i5-6400 processor that has a socket 1151 and I want to upgrade my motherboard that takes my processor but that will also take a intel i7 or a intel i5-9400k so when I'am able to upgrade my processor I will not have to upgrade my motherboard again and supports DDR4. So the problem i have is if a get a motherboard that supports the socket 1151 8th gen intel processor will i be able to use my intel i5-6400 6th gen processor on that motherboard?
If you’re upgrading later on you’re better off keeping the board (6400 doesn’t support OC) and getting a full board amd CPU upgrade later. Should consider AMD too as a 2600 is what 120~ now and a 3600 is 200

if you have a tight budget you can look for an i7 CPU for your bord like a 6700 or 7700. but the bord you have now will not work with any 8th or 9th gen CPUs

the price for both intel and AMD CPU's will become almost identical eventually since ryzen 3 CPU's reportedly have almost or better performance so you can't go wrong with any of them. just go for what gives the best price

Solution

TRENDING THREADS