[SOLVED] 11600k

onestop^

Commendable
Jul 10, 2020
Can my mobo properly feed 11600k cpu with little bit overclock? I m also eager to buy coolermaster hyper 212 spectrum cpu cooler too.
Thanks in advance.

My Specs with Cpu Z link > https://valid.x86.fr/j99pvi
Psu > Corsair RM750

Last edited:
Solution
Your motherboard should have no issue supporting an 11600K. In my own experience there is very little OC overhead left in the 11th gen chips. I can get mine to run very stable at 4.8 with a temperature penalty. I can clock some cores as far as 4.9 and stay stable, but the moment I turn any one of them to 5, I get a crash to "setup" (BIOS)

I am using Z590i by MSI on a 240 AIO inside an o11d mini, loads of airflow. Normal idle temps are in the low 30s. The first level of OC drives that to high 40's and further from there. Benchmarks at anything 4.9 and I hit 100C and throttle anyway.

onestop^

Commendable
Jul 10, 2020
Model Asus TUF GAMING Z590-PLUS
Socket 1200 LGA
North Bridge Intel Comet Lake rev 03
South Bridge Intel Z590 rev 11
BIOS American Megatrends Inc. 0405 (01/15/2021)

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Your motherboard should have no issue supporting an 11600K. In my own experience there is very little OC overhead left in the 11th gen chips. I can get mine to run very stable at 4.8 with a temperature penalty. I can clock some cores as far as 4.9 and stay stable, but the moment I turn any one of them to 5, I get a crash to "setup" (BIOS)

I am using Z590i by MSI on a 240 AIO inside an o11d mini, loads of airflow. Normal idle temps are in the low 30s. The first level of OC drives that to high 40's and further from there. Benchmarks at anything 4.9 and I hit 100C and throttle anyway.

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Yes, I truly suggest a far better than budget cooler if you plan to OC. Even at stock clocks I can't see a 212 keeping up.

I had a Noctua "9" tower on mine before this and it kept up fine. A previous Noctua "pancake" did not, which actually made me forgo the plan I had purchased this for, as far as placement and case. These puppies are HOT when working.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
okay, any decent air coolers to suggest?

For this CPU, I wouldn't suggest something much less than a Dark Rock. I went Noctua (at first) and it worked great with the tower style. I am on an AIO now simply because I had one available as I took another PC out of service. They both perform very similarly for this particular installation. (AIO is on exhaust side of case)

A lot is going to depend on the space you have available. Mugen makes a good cooler for a lower price. There are actually a bunch of well done 'group' reviews on coolers found on YT.

onestop^

Commendable
Jul 10, 2020
Thanks for the replies.I ll look into these suggestions. One last question, do i need to format my hard drive and reinstall chipset drivers after installing new cpu? Also my m2 ssd currently installed on pci-e 3.0 slot since 10th gen doesn't support pci-e 4.0 . Can i safely move my m2 ssd to pci-e 4.0 slot ?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
^ Don't know that the move to the other (faster) slot will matter or not, in regard to proper boot.

Normally I would always suggest a fresh install when you change hardware. In this particular case I would probably try to swap and download the proper chipset driver to see if everything works. This along with the slot change could be tricky, but have never tried it so anything I say would be conjecture.

To be safe, back everything important to you up before you try these things. IMO it probably would be worthwhile to see if there is a newer BIOS revision and perform that before making any changes.