[SOLVED] 11700k high temps

Anti illuminati

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2015
hi. my new 11700k cpu hits 100 degree in gaming . idle is 60 degree. i heard the motherbaord auto overclocks the cpu so the temps going over. which option should i disable in motherboard bios to prevent auto boost and overclock?

Solution
An idle temperature of 60c. suggests that your cooler is not mounted well.
I would expect to see perhaps 10-15c. over ambient.
I would remount the cooler.
Clean off all of the old paste with alcohol and apply new.
A drop in the center is all you need.
It will spread out under heat and pressure.
When tightening the cooler, do so evenly so that it will go on level.

And... your cooler is only adequate, not designed to allow maximum performance out of your processor.

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
What case and cooler are you using? If the CPU hits 100 Celsius constantly it's most likely one of these is the main issue instead of the motherboard.

In the meanwhile, check to see if there's an option in the motherboard BIOS to "Enforce Power Limit" or something like that. I'm not sure what the setting is called so you'll have to poke around the BIOS to see.

Anti illuminati

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2015
What case and cooler are you using? If the CPU hits 100 Celsius constantly it's most likely one of these is the main issue instead of the motherboard.

In the meanwhile, check to see if there's an option in the motherboard BIOS to "Enforce Power Limit" or something like that. I'm not sure what the setting is called so you'll have to poke around the BIOS to see.
case msi gungnir 110r
mobo: msi z590 gaming edge wifi
cooler: deepcool gammaxx gt

An idle temperature of 60c. suggests that your cooler is not mounted well.
I would expect to see perhaps 10-15c. over ambient.
I would remount the cooler.
Clean off all of the old paste with alcohol and apply new.
A drop in the center is all you need.
It will spread out under heat and pressure.
When tightening the cooler, do so evenly so that it will go on level.

And... your cooler is only adequate, not designed to allow maximum performance out of your processor.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-Cooler too small.
-Cooler might not be mounted correctly.
-Auto Vcore needs to be reigned in. Nothing unusual about that; the manufacturers have it set that way by default.
-Probable lack of airflow *looks at front panel
-If Msi Dragon Center is installed, uninstall it. It can apply an overclock without your permission.

Reactions: CompuTronix
Aug 26, 2021
I need help too, mine doesn’t go above 85 on avg but it goes as high as 94 on max...
my idle temp is about 50-55.

i took the cpu back to the people who assembled it for me and had them redo the thermal paste, yet same results...

I asked people around and they told me to disable turbo boost, that did help with the sudden spike in temp but i believe it costs me performance?

i7-11700k
case: msi gungnir 110D
mobo: msi mpg z590 gaming carbon wifi
cooler: coolmaster master liquid ml240l rgb

Do not worry overly much.
The processor monitors it's own temperature and will slow down or even shut down to protect itself if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.

Lots of heat is generated if you can keep 16 threads busy.
The default turbo mechanism does the best it can with the cooling it has.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I need help too, mine doesn’t go above 85 on avg but it goes as high as 94 on max...
my idle temp is about 50-55.

i took the cpu back to the people who assembled it for me and had them redo the thermal paste, yet same results...

I asked people around and they told me to disable turbo boost, that did help with the sudden spike in temp but i believe it costs me performance?
You should start your own thread. Although...
i7-11700k
case: msi gungnir 110D [Where's the airflow?]
mobo: msi mpg z590 gaming carbon wifi [If Dragon Center is installed, please remove it. If you need to control RGB, you can install Mystic Light separately.]
cooler: coolmaster master liquid ml240l rgb [An AIO is not a fix for poor airflow. They need air as much as air coolers do.]

Reactions: CompuTronix
Terrible case for air flow. But pretty if RGB is your thing.
The front glass panel on the R version basicaly turns the front fans into a light show that recirculates heated case air.
The small inlets it has might be enough for 1 fan in the front, definitely not 3.

Take off or open the side panel and check temperatures under load. If temps drop dramatically then your case airflow is the problem.

Reactions: Howardohyea