[SOLVED] 11700k is downclocking under extreme load ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 362816
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 362816

This build has given me more issues then I care to speak of, so I am sorry that I keep asking questions.

I have been away from intel since the 7700K maybe that is the issue.

Followed many overclock guides on YouTube, Reddit and Toms in regards to this specific CPU.

Simply put settings are as follows, 50 core multi on each of the 8 cores @ 1.350V Temps never exceed 60-65C in games showing 5GHZ. LLC Extreme, Multi Core Enhancement Disabled. Speed Step disabled.

When I run any program such as, Prime95,OCCT, Intel Burn Test, Cin R23, My temps are still under 75C but my cores drop to 4600 MHZ and 1.200V.

What is causing this to work correctly in all my games but when I run a extreme stress like any of the program listed above the core drops to the stock max boost voltage/multi?

I have all of the settings disabled that should be allow to lower the multi but yet it is still happening.

Willing to try anything at this point please let me know.

Specs

Z590i Aorus Ultra
RM850X
RTX 3070 FE
32GB 3200
Torrent Nano (2x140mm front 2x140mm bottom 1x120mm back)
Dark Rock Pro 4

Solution
Aye. I can't help but feel a driver/software is breaking or disabling the OC.
I mean, thermal or power throttling on the motherboard would see it drop frequency harder.
Enable Multi Core Enhancement and see if that fixes it. That alone should allow you to game or test at 5.0GHz on all cores out of the box. (Unless I'm unaware of something that has changed since the 7700K). I have also been away from Intel since then.

D

Deleted member 362816

Enable C-states if you have it disabled. I believe I remember seeing UWebb posting that Turbo Boost doesn't work correctly if it's disabled.

There's also Phantom Throttling, but that was supposed to be an X299 thing...

I am confused, If speed step is disabled and you have the Core Multi Manual set/overclocked to 50x multi all core it really shouldn't be downclocking. It should crash/bluescreen before it downclocks.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I am confused, If speed step is disabled and you have the Core Multi Manual set/overclocked to 50x multi all core it really shouldn't be downclocking. It should crash/bluescreen before it downclocks.
Really? You've got the Vcore set high enough, why would it bluescreen from a 400mhz drop? I know of bluescreening from Vdroop tanking voltage too low, but...
Besides, 4.6ghz is the 11700K's default all core turbo. May be related to why it doesn't BSOD.

See posts 6 and 10. I think this was the most recent thread I'd seen about it.

D

Deleted member 362816

Really? You've got the Vcore set high enough, why would it bluescreen from a 400mhz drop? I know of bluescreening from Vdroop tanking voltage too low, but...
Besides, 4.6ghz is the 11700K's default all core turbo. May be related to why it doesn't BSOD.

See posts 6 and 10. I think this was the most recent thread I'd seen about it.

I followed the information in the thread that you have listed. CPU still reverts to 46x multipluer when under extreme load even though it should never drop below 50x according to overrode settings.

D

Deleted member 362816

@uWebb429 , if you wouldn't mind assisting Captain figure out why his 11700K clocks down to its default all core frequency?

Well got it figured out. Had to manually edit each turbo core multiplier on top of the regular core multiplier. Now stays at 50x 5ghz at 1.374 volt 69C max temp after 5 min good enough for me.

Thank you all for the help. This step was not shown in the guides I used, Maybe this is specific to my motherboard.

Nvm, after a few more min of cin r23 it fell back to 46x multi. Lmao..... and my score dropped from 13313 to 11000. That makes sense!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well got it figured out. Had to manually edit each turbo core multiplier on top of the regular core multiplier. Now stays at 50x 5ghz at 1.374 volt 69C max temp after 5 min good enough for me.

Thank you all for the help. This step was not shown in the guides I used, Maybe this is specific to my motherboard.
Wut.
That's weird; I don't think that step is really a thing? I've not checked out many OC guides though.
¯\(ツ)

D

Deleted member 362816

I mean I don't need 5ghz, But I did buy the dark rock pro 4 so it should have no issues in my setup cooling wise. At stock clocks I just feel like it was a waste of $90.

D

Deleted member 362816

Aye. I can't help but feel a driver/software is breaking or disabling the OC.
I mean, thermal or power throttling on the motherboard would see it drop frequency harder.

Thank you for your help, I am going to call it a wash, Not worth any more of my time messing with this lol. 4.6ghz it is.

D

Deleted member 362816

@Captain Discombobulate
Most throttling is because the turbo power limits are left at default values. Set both limits, PL1 and PL2, to the max in the bios.

Watch the Limit Reasons data in HWINFO. It will tell you why your CPU is throttling.

I set the limits to max. Still downclocks to 46x under load. Let me know what screens you want photo's of and I will happy upload them to try and work this out.

D

Deleted member 362816

J
@Captain Discombobulate
Most throttling is because the turbo power limits are left at default values. Set both limits, PL1 and PL2, to the max in the bios.

Watch the Limit Reasons data in HWINFO. It will tell you why your CPU is throttling.

Just a tad concerned that after making all of these changes and having no luck, I reverted the bios back to factory settings and now my ethernet port is dead lol.

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Drive Not Ready}
The drive is not ready for use; its door may be open. Please check drive %hs and make sure that a disk is inserted and that the drive door is closed.
That is the error I get on the network adaptor.

Oh god....

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethe...5-V-Device-Cannot-start-Gigabyte/td-p/1281951

Well overclocking is clearly not for me anymore.

Last edited by a moderator: