Question Best BIOS Settings for gaming with an Intel 11900k ?

Jul 30, 2023
Hello, I bought a 11900k CPU with ASUS PRIME Z590-A. I had a 7800X CPU (Intel) before and when I tried my new CPU, I found out that there is a problem with my FPS (in games) and games has very bad performance in compare to my last CPU (Intel 7800X) !!! I checked my temperature, and it was OK (it's under 70).

I went to BIOS and I saw some new (to me) settings under CPU power management section and I played their values (disable|enable) and i find out the problem was from these values !!!! (my BIOS updated to the latest version).
09b502515803f46c17d8429979b31b54.jpeg

But I confused ! I read somewhere that for games, I need to turn off SpeedStep, Speed Shift and C-states. I did it and my frequency range became from 3500 to 4800 MHz. But in games I had 3500 most of the time and still this CPU had lower FPS than my old one (too many FPS drops under heavy scenes). Then I think about a stable frequency (4800) so I enabled Speed Shift only and my frequency became stable (4800), no matter in game or not. It gives me a better stability in games, but still my old CPU was better !!!. Then I decided to increase my frequency to 5300 MHz (without overclocking) by enabling the C-states (when it is enabled, my max frequency is 5300 MHz). So by enabling the C-states and Speed Shift, I had a range of 800 to 5300 MHz frequency (Most of the time, it's more than 5000) and this is the only way that I had the best stability in games but still less than my old CPU and also, I really confused because i heard that C-states must be disabled with SpeedStep for better game experience !!!!!!

So what are the best settings for me (a game player) ? Why Speed shift gives me a stable frequency but people saying that I must disable these things for better game experience ??? I Really confused !!! I also enabled XMP ....

SpeedTest => Auto or Enable or Disable ?

Speed Shift => Enable or Disable ?

CPU C-state => Auto or Enable or Disable ?

Also, i had the worst experience with SpeedTest Auto !!!

Since still, I have FPS problem by setting Speed Shift and C-states ON (in compare to my old cpu), what should I do to ready this beast for my F games?
4c23b2cb895608c20c9dc72efb58ccd5.jpeg
44ba1adc5d9e34fbc3bf0e5fdb757ec9.jpeg

4ea611d62a472231cccae2fca0a80ac3.jpeg

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Besides setting xmp, you shouldn't need to touch anything else. I have 11700k and z590 and default settings is fine.

Question, did you reinstall Windows on your new system or just transplanted from old system? If you did that no wonder you're having performance issues.

Jul 30, 2023
Besides setting xmp, you shouldn't need to touch anything else. I have 11700k and z590 and default settings is fine.

Question, did you reinstall Windows on your new system or just transplanted from old system? If you did that no wonder you're having performance issues.
No I didn't change the Windows yet (but I uninstalled all drivers and installed new ones) but why by changing these values, my FPS problem fixed about 70 % ?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Compensating for initial issue and perhaps performance should be even higher. Reinstall Windows as should be done changing motherboards. Uninstalling drivers isn't enough, there's registry entries as well. It's common practise to reinstall to avoid these problems.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Jul 30, 2023
Compensating for initial issue and perhaps performance should be even higher. Reinstall Windows as should be done changing motherboards. Uninstalling drivers isn't enough, there's registry entries as well. It's common practise to reinstall to avoid these problems.
Yes, but there are too many topics about this problem, guys with FPS problems, and they fixed it by changing these options (they even installed new Windows and still got problems) ... Maybe 10% of this problem is about Windows reinstallation ...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, but there are too many topics about this problem, guys with FPS problems, and they fixed it by changing these options (they even installed new Windows and still got problems) ... Maybe 10% of this problem is about Windows reinstallation ...

I don't have fps problems. A lot of fps problems stem from people cutting corners. Simple as that. Contrary ~ the user often making it more difficult than it needs to be.

Reinstall Windows.

Jul 30, 2023
I don't have fps problems. A lot of fps problems stem from people cutting corners. Simple as that. Contrary ~ the user often making it more difficult than it needs to be.

Reinstall Windows.
Well, maybe you have a powerful VGA Card, or maybe you are not that sensitive on games .. Or maybe your last CPU was a very old one and with this new one, you got enough performance that you did not think about more performance your CPU can have.

But Windows reinstallation is one of my option to fix this problem ...

Jul 30, 2023
Im nearing 20yrs on Steam this Sept so yeah I've experienced a lot both in gaming and computers. I know what I'm talking about.
Maybe you have a Gaming motherboard and these items are disabled in it by default ??? Because my motherboard is not gaming and i think these items might be disabled on gaming motherboards !