12 -> 16 GB RAM worthwhile upgrade?

Schming

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Hi all,

I recently bought a new gaming laptop - the Acer VN7-591G, and I am loving it so far. Before I scrapped my old laptop (it was well beyond repair) I salvaged the 16GB of DDR3 RAM i had installed and the hard drive. The hard drive I have put into an enclosure and is working well as a spare external.

The new Acer has 12GB of memory, which was the best deal for this model at the time (I bought it on the cheap in Russia) Now I am tempted to upgrade the memory by swapping out the DIMMs but whereas it was conveniently located under a back panel on my old laptop, I understand that dis-assembly is a lot more complicated for this model and the memory is located on the 'wrong' side of the motherboard.

My question is this - is this upgrade worthwhile? I would rather not disassemble a brand new laptop extensively if it is not. I ask because the bump in performance from upgrading my old laptop from 8GB to 16GB wasn't as astonishing as I was led to believe, but i have these DIMMs sitting around that weren't cheap and I'll sell them if not.

Thanks

Matt

BottleGamer

Honorable
Sep 30, 2015
I do understand you
If you dont feel like you can and want to disassemble it, then i wouldnt recommend it
But i´d say it wouldnt be worth it
You wont really notice any difference between 12 gb and 16 gb
Especially because as you already said "upgrading my old laptop from 8GB to 16GB wasn't as astonishing as I was led to believe" so its an even smaller step from 12 to 16 so you should be fine with your laptop as it is now :)

Potat0Sa1ad

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014
I had this problem but with my desktop and i decided to upgrade to 16gb for video editing purposes and honestly there is little if not no performance increase and especially because you said you dont want to dismantle your laptop then there is not really any point