12 GB of ram from 8?

scarab123321

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
I currently have 8 GB of ram and while i was playing a game earlier i noticed that i was using 82% of available ram when i got a huge lag spike. Is that a high usage enough for me to upgrade to 12 GB with 2x2? or was it just my hard drive getting overloaded? Ive had 2 free ram slots ever since i built it in 2012.

Solution
From my understanding 8GB is plenty and upgrading to 16GB will show little to no increase in performance. This is even true for games that use more than 8GB of RAM. No doubt 16GB will become the new sweet spot but we are not there yet.

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
From my understanding 8GB is plenty and upgrading to 16GB will show little to no increase in performance. This is even true for games that use more than 8GB of RAM. No doubt 16GB will become the new sweet spot but we are not there yet.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Could have been just Microsoft updates doing it's thing while you were playing?

This kind of lag issue will probably need a bit more time to diagnose to find out whats going on if it keeps happening.

Search processes in Task manager after any process using more memory than the others (After sorting in order highest to lowest) and look into a search of that process. I'd start there.

HDD's can also pause a system if it's not doing so well. Good idea not to have it pretty close to max capacity. Maybe try Defrag it if you haven't done so in a while.