Question 12 pin cpu, raptor lake

Oct 26, 2022
z690 mobo has 12 pin cpu power connector, ik the extra 4 pins arent normally required unless its for extreme oc, but the power draw ive seen on 13th gen is insane. am i safe going with 8 pins? or do i need to find another 4 to squish in here?

You are perfectly fine with the 4+4. You do not need the extra 4 pin EPS/CPU auxiliary power connector at all, especially for that CPU, unless you were pursuing extreme competitive overclock records. Even a somewhat large daily drive overclock would be fine with just the 4+4.

Out of curiosity, what is the graphics card model and WHICH 850w Thermaltake PSU do you have? "Watts" don't much matter. Exact model is what matters and how you determine the quality and performance characteristics of any given PSU model. Thermaltake has both very good and extremely crappy power supplies, as do most every manufacturer, so going by brand and watts really tells us nothing.

Oct 26, 2022
psu is a smart pro rgb with 80+ bronze, running a 1080ti. tysm for your help, however when i hooked power up to the motherboard, then hit the qflash button, it powers on then off within 5 seconds. nothing else is connected to the motherboard, just the 24 pin and 8 pin power i was using in my last build.

Did you follow these EXACT steps?

Using Q-Flash Plus

A. Before you use Q-Flash Plus, follow the steps below in sequence:

1. From GIGABYTE's website, download the latest compressed BIOS update file that matches your motherboard
model.

2. Uncompress the downloaded BIOS file, save it to your USB flash drive, and rename it to GIGABYTE.bin.

Note: The USB flash drive must use the FAT32/16 file system.

3. Insert the USB flash drive into the white USB port on the back panel.

4. Connect the power cables to the 12V power connector (connect either one if there are two) and main power
connector.

B. Using Q-Flash Plus

Press the Q-Flash Plus button and the system will automatically search and match the BIOS file in the USB
flash drive on the white USB port. The QFLED and the Q-Flash Plus button on the rear panel will flash during
the BIOS matching and flashing process. Wait for 2-3 minutes and the QFLED will stop flashing when the BIOS
flashing is complete.

• Before using the Q-Flash Plus function, make sure that your system is off (S5 shutdown state).

• If your motherboard has a BIOS switch and a SB switch, reset them to their default settings.

(Default setting for the BIOS switch: Boot from the main BIOS; default setting for the SB switch:
Dual BIOS
)

• After the main BIOS is flashed, the system will reboot automatically and then DualBIOS™ will
continue to update the backup BIOS. After completion, the system will reboot again and boot
from the main BIOS.

Q-Flash Plus will update the main BIOS only if run without the CPU installed. The system will
shut down upon completion

Oct 26, 2022
followed all these steps, bios is a bin file, fat32, using a usb 2.0 stick, right file, only one i didnt understand is the white usb port. there is no white usb port, but upon closer inspection found a port with "bios" above it. tried that that, same results, except this time it beeped as it shut off

Oct 26, 2022
something i didnt notice before is that when switching the psu from 0 to 1, the mobo will flash very briefly then nothing. confused as to what this means, this psu was working fine earlier today in a previous system, thats the only thing that carried over to the new build.

Yeah, that shouldn't mean anything. What do you mean by "nothing is installed? You NEED to have the memory installed and in SOME cases it MIGHT help to also have the CPU installed as well. I'd install at least one stick of memory, in the A2 slot, and try again. If that fails to work, then install the CPU as well and try again. And, you might actually just try installing CPU and memory and power, and see if it will POST. Sometimes these boards already come with a new enough BIOS version OR in some cases an older version works well enough for the system to POST, but needs to be updated to fully support the CPU.

Also, if none of that works, try connecting the 24 pin power cable to the board, the 4+4 EPS/CPU power cable to the board, memory installed but no CPU, and see if it will flash like that. If not, install the CPU and see if it will flash.

Oct 26, 2022
qflash says in its description that nothing should need to be installed, i tried with memory in A2, no cpu, same result. qflash description also says not to use cpu when flashing, but even with the cpu installed it still does the same. the board LEDs no longer flicker momentarily when i turn it on, i get the feeling that because the manual power switch on the board didnt even turn it on the thing was DOA. am going to RMA and shell out for a z790 so i dont have to bother flashing it.

The board isn't going to power on if you don't have memory, a CPU and both the 24 pin and 4+4 pin connectors attached. Ever. For any board. Did you even try to install the CPU, memory and power cables and see if the system would power on? Z790 is fine, but probably a lot more expensive. I can understand the frustration but I don't think you've actually taken all the steps that would actually show there was a problem with the board.

And for the record, that's a return, not an RMA. An RMA is when you return it to the manufacturer for warranty replacement. In any case, good luck man. Hopefully the new board lacks any additional frustrations.

Oct 26, 2022
i did try that, it was in my previous reply here. i followed everything you said. nothing anyone couldve done abt it, just a bad board. but i do appreciate the useful tricks i learnt, thankyou. not once did i try powering on w/o the 24 pin atx and 8 pin cpu connectors, thatd be braindead lol. although i do recognize the possible confusion i caused when i said i only hooked up power, that was my bad.

also i did manage to find a nice deal on a 790 that was $20(?) more than the 690, was in luck that itd gone on sale.