Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Hello there,
I recently upgraded my PC, nothing fancy:

mATX board B550M Aorus Pro
AMD Ryzen 3 PRO 4350G with Radeon Graphics
2TB 660p Intel SSD
2x 8GB DDR4 3200MHz

It's basically almost the same setup as I had on FM2+ platform, even the CPU's TDP haven't changed.

I have Chieftec GPS-450AA-101A which I bought, as it turned out after searching in some ancient jabber archives, 12 years ago.

12V is 11,8V as showed by multimeter. Creating load with mprime's torture test doesn't change much, the voltage stays more or less the same. UEFI doesn't complain on voltage levels.

The only thing is that I hear the current converter when I do some operations on the computer, for example when I'm scrolling some webpage. It's a high pitch quiet "electronic" noise. However, my PC case is opened, the PC cooling is very quiet and I'm a kind of audiophile, so I tend to notice every sound. What I hear from this PSU doesn't bother me much, though.

The question is: should I replace the PSU only because it's old?

Solution
If you're putting it under load and the voltage isn't changing more than +/- 5%, then I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If funds are readily available, then yes. Replace the PSU, but if not (i.e. it's either groceries or a new power supply), you're probably fine with the current one for now. Just put a new one on your holiday shopping list.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you're putting it under load and the voltage isn't changing more than +/- 5%, then I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If funds are readily available, then yes. Replace the PSU, but if not (i.e. it's either groceries or a new power supply), you're probably fine with the current one for now. Just put a new one on your holiday shopping list.

-Wolf sends

Solution

TRENDING THREADS