[SOLVED] 120 GB SSD Life Span

Dec 3, 2020
Dear members, I bought a 120GB Cheap SSD (just for $21). That's my only drive on an old computer running Windows 7. The SSD touts 40 TBW. Everyday I write ~2 GB onto that drive. I also do delete around as much. Now my concern is in such a usage pattern how long will this drive last?

PS: I know I should have gone with a larger drive. But I don't have much money to spend. This was the cheapest among the lot.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of the cheap SSD? Usually SSD's come bundled with an app that shows the lifespan left on the SSD. To make your life worse, I think you're overdoing it with the SSD writes and rewrites. In fact the SSD will die more sooner than later. The TBW is a theoretical number which can and will fail either before that number is reached or beyond that number.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of the cheap SSD? Usually SSD's come bundled with an app that shows the lifespan left on the SSD. To make your life worse, I think you're overdoing it with the SSD writes and rewrites. In fact the SSD will die more sooner than later. The TBW is a theoretical number which can and will fail either before that number is reached or beyond that number.

Solution
Dear members, I bought a 120GB Cheap SSD (just for $21). That's my only drive on an old computer running Windows 7. The SSD touts 40 TBW. Everyday I write ~2 GB onto that drive. I also do delete around as much. Now my concern is in such a usage pattern how long will this drive last?

PS: I know I should have gone with a larger drive. But I don't have much money to spend. This was the cheapest among the lot.
Just simple math
https://www.gbmb.org/tb-to-gb divide by 365 for number of days.

2 GB a day of writes is not much, totaling ~750 -800GB per year?....(my own system runs about 9 TB per year of writes); I'd suspect assorted Windows and application updates would triple those totals over a year. But even that would be only 3-4 TB per year...meaning potentially, 10 years of approximate life. You can let us know if the Kingston meets that lifespan, and, we hope it does. It might just keep on ticking afterwards, anyway, but, your warranty has long since lapsed, typically at the 3 year point)

TRENDING THREADS