120 Hz vs 60 Hz Refresh Rate - Battery Life Effect

tssvinay

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Dear Experts at TH,

I have a Asus GL 502VSK laptop with the below specs. While I'm in love with the laptop for the amazing power and graphic card for my gaming needs, I also use it for my professional office work. E-Mail, MS-Office, Browsing etc as well as watching TV shows..

Intel i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz
RAM: 16GB, HDD: 1 TB 5400 RPM
Screen: IPS LCD 1920x1080 120 Hz Refresh Rate
Graphic Card: NVidia GTX 1070

I gotta admit, the laptop is bulky, gets warm and not very "lap" friendly. The battery life is quite less. I can't get everything in one laptop and also expect it to be in my budget. I've made my peace with that. I generally get around 1.5 to 2 hours on battery in Power Saver battery profile which I have optimized. I just want to optimize my battery life so that I don't keep running to the plug point every time. Ofcourse, I know I cant magically increase it to 8 hours like an ultra book but I want to do the best I can to make it efficient. My brightness is generally around 10% to 20% while working and while watching TV Shows, Videos and Gaming I crank it upto 100%.

The two questions I have are:
1) Will reducing my refresh rate from 120 Hz to 60 Hz have any visible increase in battery life ?
2) Any other options for optimizing battery life ? Like using Intel XTU for undervolting the processor ?

Solution
I wouldn't recommend undervolting your CPU cause that would be pretty dangerous and laptops ain't cheap. I'm not an expert in batteries but I do know you can change batteries for laptops to higher capacity ones so trying to look online for one that's compatible with your (you gotta be pretty lucky to find a good one) laptop and toss it in. That'll be the best way to get more battery time. Underclocking your display wouldn't bring any significant extra time but maybe like five minutes tops I'd say.

PleaseReheat

Commendable
May 19, 2016
I wouldn't recommend undervolting your CPU cause that would be pretty dangerous and laptops ain't cheap. I'm not an expert in batteries but I do know you can change batteries for laptops to higher capacity ones so trying to look online for one that's compatible with your (you gotta be pretty lucky to find a good one) laptop and toss it in. That'll be the best way to get more battery time. Underclocking your display wouldn't bring any significant extra time but maybe like five minutes tops I'd say.

Solution