Question 120 mm Liquid cooler idling at unusual temps (i5-7400)

Aug 5, 2019
Hi, soo I built my pc about a year ago, for gaming and work. I had an i5-7400 which is still my current one and a GTX 1050 for my GPU. About 2 weeks ago I purchased an RX 570. Straight away I check the temps, clock speeds, and ran benchmarks. It was just as I expected. My CPU was idling at 30 C and maxed at 33 while web browsing. I was happy with the performance and the look of my pc.

Fast forward to now where I purchased an Oculus Rift s. Just this morning I noticed my cpu temps were unusually high. Of course, 5-8 degrees is nothing urgent. But just can't shake the feeling somethings going on. I forgot to mention that I have a 120mm watercooler( as depicted in the title) which I've own for about 4 months now. Anyways, before you immediately reply saying something along the lines of: "Have you check if there's any dust, or maybe you're running something in the background." My answer would be Yes, Yes and Yes.

I've picked up quite a bit of knownledge about computers. I've checked task managers and my system tray to check for unnecessary programs, I did a full complete clean of my parts just 2 weeks ago. And until now everything was the same until today where my temps are still idling at 36 C on the bios. My windows are open, my room temp is 27C the outside temp is 23C. I have no idea what is causing this massive 9-degree difference. One more detail, I have a gigabyte motherboard, Gaming B8, and I've checked their provided fan control software I've set the fan speeds to performance.

thanks for reading this, I know it's pretty large, and an answer would be delightful. Just want closure I don't really need a full solution, because I know it's not that big of a deal.

edit: The reason why I said I bought a new GPU and VR is just in case it affected my pc

HWmonitor in conjunction with task manager will tell you what is going on on a second/by second basis, you cannot arbitrarily necessarily expect to always see 800 MHz idle and a 30C temp; at any time, Windows could be doing an AV scan, file sync, and/or WIndows updates, etc., so just because you are not running anything, does not mean nothing is occurring that might be elevating temps.

Check HWMonitor to get clock speeds/core temps...

Naturally, temps while gaming would be higher once using a good GPU, however, as the CPU struggles to keep up with it...

Indoor temps will affect idle temps as well, as 70F winter temps might give different readings than 78F interior summer temps...

Aug 5, 2019
HWmonitor in conjunction with task manager will tell you what is going on on a second/by the second basis, you cannot arbitrarily necessarily expect to always see 800 MHz idle and a 30C temp; at any time, Windows could be doing an AV scan, file sync, and/or Windows updates, etc., so just because you are not running anything, does not mean nothing is occurring that might be elevating temps.

Check HWMonitor to get clock speeds/core temps...

Naturally, temps while gaming would be higher once using a good GPU, however, as the CPU struggles to keep up with it...

Indoor temps will affect idle temps as well, as 70F winter temps might give different readings than 78F interior summer temps...

Hey, thanks for the reply... The email notification went completely over my head. However, I doubt that it is a windows update or AV scan since this has been persisting for a day now. On another note, I did move countries so that really may be the cause of all this. As mentioned above, the outside temperature was around 23C. Although it is interesting because I know for a fact that it was idling at 30 C just 2 months ago. then again the room temp was 25C... As for my CPU struggling; I'm not sure what you meant did you mean bottlenecks? Can you elaborate?.

Thanks I appreciate you answer :)