$1200 all around good at everything gaming computer (help first time b

wanderer-of-thought

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
$1200 all around good at everything gaming computer (help first time build)

Approximate Purchase Date: I can place the order right now or buy parts as they go on sell. Seeing how there is a big sell going on at newegg. Can wait longer if better parts or cheaper price.
Budget Range: on the low side 800 and up to 1500 if really needed. the sweet spot from I have seen is right around 1200

Before / After Rebates well I haven't really looked into this. But who wouldn't want to save some money

System Usage from Most to Least Important: an all around good PC. But if I did have to pick something it would be entertainment. As in internet, music, video ( not going to be my prime movie watching set. But blue ray would be great if I could do it cheap burner) as for games all I play as of now if DDO.com which my computer right now can only play it a step or two for the lowest setting, which would be nice to at least get into the middle or maybe even the high end for this game. But I'm not trying to build a high end max gaming computer that can rock crysis. But I would play a few more games on PC if I could. Picture and video editing I do use on some level but not to the extreme of professional more just for fun.

Parts Not Required: well I would like to start all new since the last computer I got was a junk store box computer which I will never do again. I don't truly need a mouse or keyboard but if there a nice one for the right price I might pick it up later. But they should be wireless since sometimes I will be using my PC on a couch. And with that. If it is better to get a wired mouse and keyboard and then something else for a the couch... I'm open. I do have a few towers that might work but I haven't yet check or really I'm not to sure how to check if the new parts can work in the old towers. So as for parts not needed. I would like to start new on most of this but if I can save a buck or two and/can reuse something from my old computer I'm willing to listen. I guess in the end I will put the current pc and maybe some old parts I got laying around but I will have to look for that.

**Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using** another thing I will have to look into I do have one power supply that might work but yet again all my part are at least 2004 or older....
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: really who ever is cheapest and has the part. I mainly look on newegg but if there is a better site that has the part since newegg is out of shock on few parts right now. But the site does have to be a trusted one... I'm try to be careful on who I do buy from online but if people say they are cool I will look into

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: I would have to say a intell over AMD but truly I don't care. Just what ever I can get the biggest and longest bang for my buck. From what I have seen AMD make there board with a little more future life in them. But I really don't know what I'm talking about... ^_^ I guess I few thing that I have been dreaming of would be a cool tower like alein wear but then again I can pick something like that up later. I'm more about function then looks. I wouldn't even mind if the tower had a ok look but then I could mode it some way to add lights and what have you.

I was thinking for my hdd that I would get two drives one sdd that was around 120gb or so but they are still a little high price for me right now. Then the other be my space monster. So since I'm trying to keep to a descent price. for now I might get a semi big fast drive until I can upgrade them to better ones. Or something like that.
The monitor I would like to get the biggest one I can get. I was looking on newegg and seen a nice 27” 1080 hd one.. but even a good 22” would be find for me. Led or lcd just as long as they are good. Past that I think I don't have any must be or know what I'm doing ^_^ 

Overclocking: this would have to be a no for me. Since to me it is about life span over how fast it goes and I could care less really about a few secound faster for a shorter life. And I don't really want to do all the extra work that can go into it. Just another pain that I don't want at least for right now
SLI or Crossfire: here I might have to say maybe. At least for the crossfire since I was thinking of getting dual video cards but yet again I'm a noob here and I think it could be a little over kill. And I don't know to much about SLI but yet again most likely over kill but I'm always open for more input. So if someone says I can get a bigger bang for my buck by doing this and this I'm open to learn and listen.

Monitor Resolution: really don't truly care as long as it looks good and doesn't mess with watching movies or playing games

Additional Comments: another reason why I'm doing a self build is to get all the junk off my computer. All I want is a few programs that I use. Some that I need to maintain my computer as in system programs. Some art programs, a couple of internet browser, maybe a few games. Right now it is just solitary and DDO.com, some to stream movie . Just the basic. I don't want all the free trail ware and other junk programs that I don't and never will use. But having a little bling would be ok with me as long as it helps or is fun to use. Yet again I don't know much here since I just don't fallow up with the latest cool tool you can use. But hey if there something that is a must have or what have you I'm all ears. Having quiet pc is always nice but I'm not putting more money into something I can turn the sound up a little to fix. As long as it works and for a long time. I'm good. I would say something like 5 year or something but really I know 10 year is pushing even the high end builds so I will just say as long as it is works and plays my games. Right now I'm using a computer that had a half a gig of ram and upgraded to 3 and think it is fast. But I know it is not. But it did help a lot. Also I think maybe I should of added this somewhere else but I do a lot of multiple programs running at once. As in, movie and playing a chess game and maybe even writing a letter at the same time, or even throw in some music. So before this gets to long I will put the parts that I'm have been looking at and my old computer and part I might have

parts for new computer

CPU
Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Processors%20-%20Desktops-_-Intel-_-19115215&AID=10440897&PID=2787415&SID=

PRICE: one newegg.com $204.99

Motherboard

ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131621&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Motherboards%20-%20Intel-_-ASUS-_-13131621&AID=10440897&PID=2787415&SID=

PRICE: one newegg.com 179.99

RAM

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Memory%20%28Desktop%20Memory%29-_-G.SKILL-_-20231193&AID=10440897&PID=2787415&SID=

PRICE: one newegg.com 47.99 x 2 = 95.98 to get 8 gb of ram

Video card
GIGABYTE GV-R685D5-1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125348&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Video%20Cards-_-GIGABYTE-_-14125348&AID=10440897&PID=2787415&SID=

Price: newegg.com 179.99 was thinking of maybe getting two but I don't know if I need it

Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136514

Price: newegg.com 79.99 on sell

Case and Power Supply
RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156062&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Cases%20%28Computer%20Cases%20-%20ATX%20Form%29-_-Raidmax-_-11156062&AID=10440897&PID=2787415&SID=

Price: newegg.com 79.99 I do like the way this one looks but... I like this other one two. Haven't really looked at a lot of them so I'm open here
Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129024&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Cases%20%28Computer%20Cases%20-%20ATX%20Form%29-_-Antec-_-11129024&AID=10440897&PID=2787415&SID=

Price: newegg.com 119.99 and this is nice since it is made to look a little cleaner. But does cost more and have to even get a fan.... I think

Cooling fan
Scythe SY1225SL12M 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185058&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Case%20Fans-_-Scythe%20USA-_-35185058&AID=10440897&PID=2787415&SID=

price newegg.com 13.99

Sound Card
Creative 70SB088000004 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express 1x Interface PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102024&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Sound%20Card-_-Creative%20Labs-_-29102024&AID=10440897&PID=2787415&SID=

price newegg.com 99.99

now this I have just posting what I found that was suppose to be good, there was another one that I found that was a 27” but I can't find it right now and I'm running a little low on time... sorry will have to post it later. also I was looking at some speakers yet those are not on the top of my list for right now
Monitor
Hanns·G Hi-221DPB Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 Built-in Speakers
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254035&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Monitors%20-%20LCD%20Flat%20Panel-_-Hanns-G-_-24254035&AID=10440897&PID=2787415&SID=

Price on newegg.com 159.99

thanks for all you help and I guess my next post will have to be my old computer and some extra parts. Thanks again for all you time and effert.

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Welcome to Tom's! :D

You post is quite long. Makes me a little dizzy. But as mentioned on the forum before to other posters, you might want to wait a month or so for all of it so you can get something like the i5-2500 of i7-2600. They're just a few dollars higher in price but much better in performance clock for clock to what you are looking at. I can't give you a link to it right now because the first run of boards had a small defect and Intel recalled them and is issuing fixes as we speak. The CPUs are solid, they only have a small defect on the SATA ports on the chipsets.

And if you get a really good motherboard, and are not into professional Audio Recording or something, forget the soundcard. Almost every motherboard today has 5.1 to 8.1 built in hi-def sound cards with loads of connections for digital or analog home theater setups. Nobody needs an add on sound card unless they are an audiophile or into professional recording.

You post is quite long, I don't have a lot of time to answer each thing you have set your sights on, but if you aren't concerned with looks... just get the cheapest case you can with good ventilation and buy a separate power supply. If you get a Cooler Master or Antec case, most of them come with at least 1 - 120mm silent fan now. Spend most of your money on the best CPU, board, graphics card and power supply. That will keep you most future proof. If you aren't into overclocking and will run at stock only CPU speeds, and you bought a well ventilated case, then forget about about huge aftermarket CPU coolers and super expensive RAM.

At stock speeds, DDR3-1333 Kingston value RAM will save you money and still last you a long time since you won't overclock. Then again the RAM you picked will serve you well if you do decide on a small overclock. Also something to take into account on your build is the cost of an Operating System. If you want to play games or do anything serious then your minimum should be Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (64 bit so you can have more than 4GB of RAM of course). You can buy a retail version which can cost up to $300, or get an OEM version with is around 100 something... but the OEM license cannot be transferred to another machine and you will have to support the OS yourself, Microsoft doesn't offer tech support unless you buy the full retail version.

And BTW, don't waste money on a Raidmax power supply... always purchase the case and power supply separate. The ones included always suck unless you are looking at a high end Antec or Silverstone case with PSU.

I don't have enough time to answer your other stuff, but more people will be on the way to help you soon. There are many helpful people here.

wanderer-of-thought

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
first off I guess sorry about such a long post. I just thought the more information I put in the first post the better. sorry I didn't get right to the point. thanks for your answers and I will have to look in the parts you have mention.

I will have to look into the cases and power supply since I would much rather spend my money on better parts then a cool looking box. the ram I heard was suppose to be good for the price and can be over clocked if I want. yet most likely I wont do it but who knows. I was plaining on getting the 64 bit windows 7 since I was trying to use more then 4 gb of ram. yet I don't know if I truly need 8 gb but either way I will be getting the 64 windows. now I do have a question with that, is it that much of a different to set up a OEM vs the retail one?

thanks again for all the help, will post an update with the new parts list if I find some or have the time to do it today.

There is absolutely no difference in actual installation or use of Windows between the OEM and Retail versions. And despite what they tell you, the OEM license can be transferred to a new machine by "upgrading" all of the parts. Mine transferred from my old Athlon II X4 machine to my new Sandy Bridge machine without me having to jump through hoops. Even if you do have to call them, it's only a small amount of lost time.

In other words, get the OEM version of Win7 Home Premium 64-bit.

CPU & Mainboard: Wait for Sandy Bridge and P67 mainboard. My 2500K was $225 and the ASRock P67 Pro3 was $124. I'm currently Rock-ing 4.8GHz right now.

RAM: That G.Skill is a good choice. You don't have to overclock to get performance benefits from 1600 RAM as 1600 seems to be Sandy Bridge's sweet spot. You can set it easily in the BIOS/UEFI. Also, 8GB is a good amount to get right now, since RAM is cheap and performance will be smoother.

Graphics: I don't do Radeons, but I think that's an okay choice.

Hard Drive: Your one mistake. Caviar Greens are some of the slowest drives available in their class. They focus on energy-saving, which is the arch enemy of performance. At least get a Caviar Blue or a Samsung Spinpoint F3.

Case: Down to personal taste. Just make sure it has at least two fans, preferably three.

Power supply: Corsair TX750 V2 (newest version of their successful TX), especially if you are going to do SLI/CF. Could probably use TX650 V2 if not doing SLI/CF.

Sound card: Most mainboards have pretty good multi-channel sound built in. Unless you're doing a sound recording studio thing, you don't really need this. If you do need it, I suppose that's a good choice.