Build Advice $1200 Modest VR build don't need max settings

May 13, 2020
Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: $1200 +- $100

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Graphic Design (apps not known but no photography), VR ready but don't need max settings.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes but outside of the above budget range

Parts to Upgrade: New system

Do you need to buy OS: No. Will run Windows 10 home

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:Don't mind. Currently pricing from PCCG, Tecs, budgetpc, uMart.

Parts Preferences: Don't care these days. I believe AMD have the price / performance category licked.

Overclocking:No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: aiming for 1080p 24 inch monitor

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: See below

Helping my daughter build her first PC – use case being graphic design (not photography) and she wants it VR ready. Have compiled the following:
  • MSI B450 Pro-VDH Max – $135
  • Ryzen 5 3600 – $299
  • Galax GTX 1660 Super – $399
  • Crucial P2 M.2 NVMe 500Gig – $149
  • RAM – Allocating $120 for 16Gig.
  • Case / PSU – Allocating ~$140 for both
This sits around the $1240 which is stretching our collective budgets to its limits. I'm also taking the opportunity to upgrade my PC for gaming and video editing, (I've essentially copied the above but doubled the RAM).
I'm not sure if graphic design work (she doesn't know what apps she intends to use yet) requires the Ryzen 5 – I kind of figured if it can handle VR it should handle that sort of work sufficiently.

Regarding VR, I'd suggest she doesn't need max settings for everything, so let me know if the GFX card and / or CPU is overkill. I'm pretty happy with that mobo because it will allow an easy RAM upgrade path in the future if she needs it.
Finally re: RAM. I've read in various places higher frequency does matter. In real world terms though is there likely to be a perceivable difference between 2400MHz and 3200MHz for VR gaming?

Thanks all, any advice appreciated.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS