120gxp deathstar?

G

I've heard about (and been witness to)the problems plauging certain older revisions of the gxp deathstar(sorry deskstar) range of harddrives ie(they stop working rather suddenly and rather inconveniently). I'm now using the a 120gxp.. anyone got anything good to say about these drives ? or has anyone had problems? INTERESTED

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I am one of the lucky ones that lost a 60GXP but it was replaced. I won't buy any more
IBM HDD until I see how they last. You will be a source for us. Give us your review on
your drive upto this point.

:lol: <b><font color=blue> Welcome to</font color=blue> <font color=red>Fredi's</font color=red><font color=blue> place.</font color=blue></b> :lol:

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I also meant to welcome you to the forum.

:lol: <b><font color=blue> Welcome to</font color=blue> <font color=red>Fredi's</font color=red><font color=blue> place.</font color=blue></b> :lol:

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I've had a 75GXP die on me, then I got my 120GXP replacement on 2/22/02. So, mine has been okay for about 2 months and 20 days. :smile: I think you need to make sure your case has good airflow. I am satisfied with it, but when I get a chance, I'm going to get some Maxtor D740X Quiet Drives.

Ejsmith might have something to say about this, too.

Later...
Bryan

P.S. Welcome to THGC!

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>

G

I've had the 120 now for about 3months i think replaced an older maxtor drive with it. There have been no problems so far, infact temperature even after excessive use has been constantly low.
I was infact originally dismayed at the operating noize.. which a tuned subsequently with the acoustic management tab in ibm tools.. very quiet after that .:) but decided to put it back to normal in a moment of paranoia.. someone had said that messing with the acoustic managemnent could cause problems.. not in retrospect that i can see this being the case.. as surely slowling the thing down is a good thing?? any way i digress..... hopefully this ting stays fine.. i did see recently a 60gxp just die...windows suddenly frooze.. and on reboot no primary disk could be found..very unfortunate for the owner :(
will keep you posted on the state of the drive though.
thanks

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I had 5 75gxps die on me, the last 2 I rmaed were replaced with 2 refurbished 75gxps(bastards), anyways my plan was to just run them ragged and rma them when they die, but I put a case fan blowing on them, the issue?

MOTHERBITCHES WONT DIE!!

Its been a month and they just wont give up, soon I will feel confident in putting non vital data on them, arghz!

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
I already posted an issue some months ago (you can check in the older posts) promising news as soon the drive fails.
I have a 120 GXP since 4 months often at 24/7. It works great. SiSoft Sandra score 31000. It is a little noisy when searching for data, but it is not a problem as the noise is lower then the noise of CPU fan.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I hope it does too, Flamethrower... (Happy Belated Birthday!) :smile:

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>

zigzag

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2002
I've got a 60 GXP. Bought it in late December and have had no problems with it. It's nice and fast. I do worry about it dying though, and have backed up all my critical data.

-zigzag

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I really am happy for you.

:frown:

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
If you want to minimize vibration and noise a really helpful thing (test it out, it's real easy) is to get a bunch of rubber bands and string them around the screw holes in your 5 1/4" drive bays so that they form a "web" that your can rest your hard drive on, and in essence, "float" it. People who've done this have reported quite a decrease in the amount of vibration and noise caused by their HDD's! Just make sure you disassemble it before going to a lan party or moving your computer.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I also had a 75gxp pinch off a gigantic loaf, right on my head. Took about 12 months, but it finally dropped.

I traded (read:RMA'd) a 45gig 75gxp in, and got back a 60gig 120xgp. I've cranked hard on that drive for about 5 months, with no glitchs I can recognize (thermal recals, data loss, spin down, etc).

I can definately tell it's faster than the WD 40gig drive I bought in the meantime.

Overall, I'm really chapped/pissed that it dropped on me, but the speed and size of the drive I got cancel out a lot of the negative karma. So, I'm probably neutral on the subject...

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had one of the first GXP75 30 gig (sold it with P3-800, still ticking and fast), then one of the first GXP60 40 (still ticking and fast), and now I got myself GXP120 80 gig (and it too still ticking and faster than fast).

Because of so many rumors about GXPs I have tried WD800BB, tried for a day (could not stand it for any longer because of vibration it was doing and baby that was a surprise, but it was much much slower than GXP60 I have) I have returned it and got myself GXP120 instead (Whew, that thing is fast), so I have no comments, just warm nice feeling about GXP drives. I am a HD speed demander, so there is nothing else that can satisfy me at this point as far as IDE drives go, but IMB (even they have "bad luck" with some people), I just keep them cool, thats all to it.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

G

<A HREF="http://www.digit-life.com/articles/hddreview0202/" target="_new">URL</A>

"akuna mutata" braza... :wink: