120Hz monitor only goes up to 75Hz in Nvidia control panel.

Jul 25, 2018
I have a 120hz monitor with 75hz optional G-Sync. The 75Hz G-Sync works smoothly, but whenever I go the Nvidia control panel to change it to 120Hz w/o G-sync - I don't get that option. I only get to choose between 75Hz and 40Hz and G-sync on/off.

I have an MSI GT72VR 6RE, and not only the box says that the monitor is 120Hz capable, but it's even written on the laptop sticker.

Any solutions? Would much appreciate.

Solution
Yes, it appears that there are a variety of configurations of that notebook. What is the full model number? There should be an additional few characters after the "6RE" that should indicate the exact configuration. E.g GT72VR 6RE-015US.
Jul 25, 2018

it's not a 4k monitor, I wish it was haha. From a bit of googling I did, it becomes clearer and clearer that MSI simply played a marketing trick. They wrote "120Hz (optional)" on the box and on the sticker, and I'm starting to think that "(optional)" means that the 120Hz is not present in the laptop... Seriously though, how am I supposed to interpret the "120Hz (optional)" phrase, no way someone reading that is thinking that it's just a placebo.

Well, unless somehow I have 120Hz capability and I'm completely unaware about how to turn it on.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it appears that there are a variety of configurations of that notebook. What is the full model number? There should be an additional few characters after the "6RE" that should indicate the exact configuration. E.g GT72VR 6RE-015US.

Solution