120hz recorded gameplay not 60fps

Jul 27, 2018
I currently have a BenQ XL24LLP 24-inch 144hz gaming monitor that I've set to 120hz for recording purposes, as well as a 60hz BenQ monitor and a third really old Samsung monitor also at 60hz all connected to my 4gb GTX960.

I was unable to find a fix recording with Shadowplay so I'm attempting to use OBS with the correct settings and my recordings are still coming out extremely choppy. I was trying to record Fortnite and was running at 85-90fps and everything was coming out choppy, so I thought maybe because I'm not running it at 120fps< it might be having problems. So I tried capping Fortnite at 60fps for testing purposes (Still running my monitor at 120hz) and the recordings are still very laggy even when running a solid 60fps, I also tried Vsync and still no luck.

At the end of the day though I still want to be able to play at the 85-90fps with 120hz while recording, I didn't think this would be an issue but now I'm lost on what to do because capping the game at 60 frames didn't work either. I'm not too sure what could be the problem.

Solution
If the gameplay is fine but the recording is choppy, your recording settings are too intensive. Bitrate affects mainly file size rather than computational intensity; you need to change the CPU preset to a faster setting.
Jul 27, 2018

- GTX 960 4GB
- Intel Core i5 4690k
- Corsair 16GB DDR3 ram
Motherboard - Gigabyte H87M-D3H (This is a really old outdated Board but I doubt it would have anything to do with the issue)
- Windows 10 64 bit

Fortnite is very sensible towards other stuff running try with some other game.
Also you will have to adjust the recording priority, the higher you set this the smoother the recording but it might affect the game's FPS.
You should be using nvenc even with OBS so you won't get a hit on CPU performance.

Jul 27, 2018

I use settings from this video which seemed reliable from the like to dislike ratio - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3dYc-Qbh-8
I also tried messing around with some settings after that as well which still had the same outcome.

I do not have a second hdd or an ssd, however I recorded everything just fine prior to getting this 144hz monitor with one hdd only, never had an issue with it.

Edit: I have tried significantly reducing the bitrate that was suggested in the video as 40 000 is insanely high, I tried 15k, 10k, even all the way down to 5k to see if the lag would stop with poor quality but it still persisted it just wasn't as noticeable as the higher quality recordings.

Jul 27, 2018

I'm using nvenc in OBS, what do you mean by recording priority though? Is that a setting in OBS?

Edit: I just tried recording on a game called osu which is easy to get high frame rate on (240+) and it turned out fine. Monitor was still on 120hz.

Jul 27, 2018

I tried using Nvidia Shadowplay and my recordings turned out about as good as they were before I got my 144hz monitor. So in short; yeh I think my OBS settings were too intensive. I tried using Shadowplay earlier but was getting screen tearing, honestly can't remember if I was recording with 144hz or 120hz at the time so perhaps I blatantly skipped over trying to record on shadowplay with 120hz, my bad x)

I think it's good now tho hopefully I don't jinx it, I'll stick to Shadowplay but if I ever wanna use OBS now at least I know why everything was coming out choppy. Thanks for the help guys :)

Yes it's a setting in OBS, but you can also use task manager to set any recording software/task to high or even something like the free process hacker with wich you could even save this setting so that any time you record it runs at high,that's what I do even with shadowplay to make sure that I will get a smooth recording even on CPU heavier parts of games.
qs2.jpg