120hz via HDMI

Jimmeh

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I am considering buying one of the 120hz 22" monitors that have been released by Samsung and Viewsonic. In order to output a 120hz signal a DVI-D Dual link cable is required. This is no problem for my desktop as it has the necessary DVI-D output however my laptop's only digital output is an HDMI port.

Does anyone know if I will be able to use this monitor at 120hz with my laptop with a HDMI - DVI-D Dual link connector? The graphics card is a 9300M GS.

Thanks

Highly unlikely, for standard HDMI signaling it would require a double speed TMDs in order to support that and it's unlikely that the one integrated into the GF9300M GS is a 350Mhz model.

Everything I've seen on the low GF9 series has them as single link 165Mhz integrated TMDS, so it's unlikely to support either dual-link over HDMI or higher than double speed, which would give you your 120hz refresh.

But anywhoo, the benefits of the 120hz monitors is not just limited to the 120hz and most reviewers say to get them even for their 60hz performance, where you would still set them for 120hz settings. I also doubt that for most situations the GF9300 would be able to push 120hz, except in 2D video, but not gaming or any 3D work.

Jimmeh

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
The games where 120hz matters to me are old games which are based on the quake 2 and quake 3 engine which are very cpu dependant and I can run stably at 125 fps.

Is it a bandwidth problem i.e. I just wouldn't be able to use 120hz at high resolutions? Or is it a different problem and I would be able to use to 120hz function at all?

Do you have any possible solution? I have an Asus n50vc, how possible would it be to change the graphics card with something with the necessary output for 120hz?

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Also, anyone looking to use the nVision 3D glasses would need one.. However, with the OP running a 9300M GS, I very much doubt that the case here..

Jimmeh

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

eh? I can't really understand you.. I know the capabilities of my laptop I just want to know if it would be possible to use one of the new 120hz monitors in the 120hz mode. I don't really care about nVidia 3D glasses, I am interested in the pure 120hz.

No you would not.

Read what I wrote, which has nothing to do with the game refresh rate (it will process frames and not display them), but you're not going to be able to output 120hz at fully RES over that chip.

Unlikely to be able to change graphics chip, probably better to just buy a new laptop.

It's unlikely that you would have anything more than an MXM1 connector there, if not a surface mounted chip, especially as a GS not GT. The card you would want in there would be at least MXM-II or MXM-III, and likely your board wouldn't porvide enough power to the slot even if it were possible to swap out the graphics on your laptop, which in about 95+% off the situations (especially with such a low card likely 99+%) it would not be possible.