[SOLVED] 120mm aio on 9900k performance

Jan 28, 2021
So im choosing a cooler for the 9900k. I have decided i want to get a 120mm aio. I am thinking about the coolermaster "Masterliquid 120 lite", but im not sure what performance i can expect. Does anyone have a clue what i could expect ? I would be running at stock speeds.

Also i was thinking about the corsair h45. Let me know if you have any info about the performance of it on the 9900k aswell. Thanks

Solution
Unless you have no other option that will fit a 120mm AIO is pointless. There performance is poor and worse than a similar priced air cooler. The 9900k is a hot cpu, if you want to overclock and go AIO you should look at 280mm-360mm. A 240mm is ok for stock and maybe light overclocking.
Unless you have no other option that will fit a 120mm AIO is pointless. There performance is poor and worse than a similar priced air cooler. The 9900k is a hot cpu, if you want to overclock and go AIO you should look at 280mm-360mm. A 240mm is ok for stock and maybe light overclocking.

Solution
Jan 28, 2021
At the moment im using a noctua nh-u9b se2. Stock speed, undervolted, my cpu is running at 75-80c in cinebench, and in cyberpunk it runs at over 80c after a few hours. Do you still think its not a good upgrade from what i have now ?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
120mm AIOs are pretty worthless unless you have a super small case and nothing else fits.

Otherwise, they only should go on low TDP dual or quad core CPUs at most.

240mm AIO would still be too small, you're probably going to want a 360 if you plan on doing any sort of clocking on that...otherwise if it is stock speeds....240 prob would get by.

Frans562

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
I have the same processor on my current gaming PC and it is the hottest chip I've ever owned. I have a Kraken X63 cooling it which is a 280mm. On idle it's about 32-34 and the highest I've seen it go up is about 66 degrees on stock clock but the cooler's fans are on full tilt by then. I don't think I would use anything smaller than a 280mm unless you live in a cooler area and have great case airflow. For reference, I have an o11 dynamic case with 6 intake fans (side and bottom) and my PC is by a window with moderate airflow and it still gets pretty warm IMHO.